[bookshare-discuss] Re: A good week for folk music fans on Bookshare.

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:15:19 -0700

You know what they say? There is folk music and there is folk music. I'm one
of these folkies who think that Bob Dylan s all very well and good, but
other performers' voices are preferable to hearing him sing his stuff. He
has a great sense of rhythm, but I never could like his voice. Dave Van
Ronk's was not pretty either, but oh how that man could play the guitar and
sing the blues! When I think of folk music, I don't automatically think of
Dylan, Peter, Paul, and Mary, the Kingston Trio, etc. I got acquainted with
folk music via The Weavers, then Ewan MacColl and Peggy Seeger, Jean
Ritchie, Jean Redpath, and other artists who one doesn't always hear on the
radio. Can you imagine scanning the five volumes (print) of English and
Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis J. Child or Shanties of the Seven Seas
by Stan Hugill into the Bookshare collection? Now those would be a real bear
to scan I bet. Regards, Kim.