[booksandbeyond] online petition about accessibility

  • From: "Nancy Lynn" <freespirit52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Missouri List" <Missouri-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:34:53 -0500

We ask all of you to review and sign the Yahoo's Accessibility Improvement
Petition at
http://www.petitiononline.com/yabvipma/petition.html
 asking the
company to make an audio alternative to its CAPTCHA available so that the
blind and visually impaired will be permitted timely access to the same
services as those already granted the sighted. The use of a telephone
callback scheme is totally insufficient as it does not grant the same level
of instant access as the sighted and Yahoo personnel
do not consistently make contact in a timely manner. It is our ongoing
contention that visual only CAPTCHA schemes without at least an accessible
audio
alternative represent "No Blind People Allowed" signs in much the same way
as African-Americans were deliberately denied entry to restaurants and other
similar public accomodations in the era of segregation. We ask Yahoo to
simply fix their grievous error by promptly adding an audio CAPTCHA to all
its properties as soon as possible as part of the company's ongoing
accessibility initiatives.
Darrell Shandrow - Accessibility Evangelist
another person.
Blind Access Journal blog and podcast:
http://www.blindaccessjournal.com
Check out high quality telecommunications services at
http://ld.net/?nu7i