[bookport] Re: which version of lane???

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:37:02 -0400

Thanks much.

-----Original Message-----
From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of ROB MEREDITH
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 9:57 AM
To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookport] Re: which version of lane???

Don:

Unfortunatly, you can't tell which version of LAME you have just by looking
at the file, since there is not a version header on LAME_ENC.dll. Besides,
you probably won't find agreement among many people about which is the best
version. Finally, if you back-date a copy of LAME for a program that expects
a newer version, you will probably crash. So, my advice, leave it alone.

We ship LAME 3.95 with our products which are licensed for MP3 encoding. in
my opinion, this version sounds the best, though I haven't spent any time
with anything real new. I didn't like 3.96. Aside from a known crash
situation which we are blocking out in our products, LAME
3.95 is quite good.

Rob Meredith

>>> donter@xxxxxxxxxxx 04/15/06 10:07AM >>>
Hi All,

I must have four or five versions of lame_enc.dll in various program files
throughout my computer.  Does anyone have definitive information about which
version is the best to use for getting the most accurate mp3 files.  I have
versions as small as 140k all the way up to 400k, and I somehow feel I
should be using what is considered the best which might not be the latest.

Thanks all for any wisdom.

Don Barrett