[bookport] Re: well ipod problem may not be solved

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:23:16 -0400

You can fix this without using msconfig. You have to fiddle with the IPod software and or the Roxio software though. You may even be able to fix it by using ITunes. At any rate, this is all mooot because the book port does not work with my mac.

--
Jonnie Apple Seed
With his:

On Sep 4, 2005, at 1:38 PM, Neal Ewers wrote:

Sorry if anyone is reading these messages in reverse order.

Several corrections about the last message.

1. You don't back tab when you're in msconfig, you either press control tab until you get to startup or you press shift, control, tab to go back one position to startup.

2. You then tab once to get into the list of things that run at startup if they are checked.

2. The name of the item you uncheck if you have Windows Easy CD Creator, doesn't start with Roxio, but it does have roxio in the name somewhere.

And now for the bad news. Now, your iPod won't work. You have to do the same thing all over in reverse and uncheck the Roxio component to have the iPod work again. Of course, you have to reboot each time you change something in msconfig, so you can figure out if it's worth the effort to have a very bossy application. For me, I think I'll go buy a not so ethnocentric MP3 player and simply continue playing audible books on my book port.

Both original messages are below.

Neal

Well, I figured out the problem. I would consider Apple iPod one of the most ethnocentric applications there is. It wants to be first to the extent that it disables most other things that play cds, etc. So, if you buy an iPod and Find that you can't run a CD without the iPod plugged in or you can't use Easy CD Creator, here is what you do in Windows XP. Go to the run dialog and type "msconfig." Back tab once until you get to a list of items that run at startup. The ones that are checked will run, and the ones that will not run will not. Tab to OK. You will have to reboot. It would appear that Apple decided to uncheck the Roxio setting that causes your disk drive recorder to work on its own. I would tell you the name of the item, but as it may differ with particular versions of your Roxio product, Roxio now distributes Easy CD Creator) I will just say that you should find an item that is Roxio and some other characters after Roxio. If it is unchecked, check it.

That worked for me.

Original message is below if you need it.

Neal

This may be a bit off topic, so read on if you're willing to help anyway.

Thanks for those who answered my first question. Now I have a problem. I loaded the iPod software and now my CD drive doesn't register on my computer unless I have the iPod plugged in. That's not so bad, but here is the real kicker. When I tried to run Easy CD Creator, It came up with the iTunes application. When I alt tabbed back to easy CD Creator and tried to burn a CD, it said that no drivers for my CD recorder were found. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what do you suggest? Again, thanks for your help.
Neal