[bookport] Re: the bookport keeps shutting down

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:20:24 -0500

Peter:

A freeze or shutdown can be caused by either a corruption on a flash
card (or a card gone bad), or by battery contacts that are going out.
This is sometimes difficult to pin down.  Whenever this freeze or
shutdown occurs, try removing the card, then do a Reset of 2 plus b
(before putting the card back in).  If the unit comes up without the
card in it, then it's very likely the problems are caused by the card
itself.  If that is the case, then try reformatting the compact flash
card.  The reformat command is 1 plus 3, plus d plus f (at the same
time).  If you can't get the unit back up by doing a Reset with no card
inserted, then you might want to check the battery contacts to see if
they are becoming bent.  If they're not yet too bad, you might be able
to straighten them without having to send it back in.  If not, then I'd
suggest sending it in for repair.  This can happen as a result of
frequently battery changes, especially if you use rechargeable
batteries.  We also recommend that when inserting batteries, you insert
them with the flat end first, rather than the nub, to prevent extra
pressure on the battery contact.

Pamela

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> pmcliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/21/06 05:47PM >>>
Hi Everyone

Lately, my bookport keeps shutting down every so often.  It then seems
to go in to a freeze mode and won't restart even when I try to reset the
unit, take the flash card out and reinsert it again, or do the same with
the batteries.

What could possibly be the problem?  ?Any help would be much
appreciated.

Regards
Peter