[bookport] tdk external speaker, what a great thing!

  • From: "Marlaina Lieberg" <marlaina@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:05:51 -0700

Hi all.

I promised to share my thoughts about the TDK external speaker which I
bought from

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7913192799

It arrived just moments ago, and I love it!

the BookPort fits beautifully into the little net pocket in the back.  I
removed the CD holders (I'll explain that process in a bit here), and routed
the short cable which runs from the speaker through them thereby converting
the keepers from CD keepers to chord keepers.  The speaker is great; it
works with the case zipped open or closed.

Let me try to describe the case a bit more.  It is made of a sort of nylon
like material, with a semi hard shell.  There are double sort ov vinyl
feeling strips that serve as trim for both halves of the case.  The front is
indicated by a TDK logo of some sort which is raised and easily detectable.

The zipper opens from 6 o'clock anti clockwise.

When you open the case, the speaker will be on the left.  The speaker is
itself encapsulated in foam, with a foam ridge around its perimiter.  The
chord for the speaker is located at the bottom right corner.

There are 3 pages of cd envelopes, 2 per page each double sided thereby
holding 12 cd's.  I removed those.  To do this, I opened the pages to the
center where their keepers, 2 plastic clips, were visible.  You will feel 2
nob like protrusions.  Place your thumb and index finger on either side of
the clip toward the loop end, or put your fingers beneath the top of the
clip and pull toward you.  You will hear a click, then just lift up on the
clip.  Do the same with the second clip, and you can remove the cd sleeves.
Before I clipped the clips closed again, i simply routed the chord from the
bottom right through the clips, moving the plug up to the top right and
close to the BookPort.

On the right side of the case now is a net pocket, into which the BookPort
fits beautifully.  There is also room for ear buds and extra batteries, if
you so desire.

to turn the speaker on, you open the battery compartment with a latch ,
located at the lower left corner of the speaker.  You simply press toward
you and lift up and the battery compartment pops open.  You will then find a
switch that moves up and down located to the left of the battery furthest
from you.  Up is on, down is off.  And that is it.

TDK added 2 sets of hook and loop arms which if you hook them together, will
allow you to stand the case up on a counter or tabletop; I am thinking about
cutting those off, but haven't decided yet.  Anyway, the sound quality is
great, and I am delighted to have purchased this.

When I posted, I said I could not vouch for the seller, as I had never done
business with them before.  I now can, as they stayed in touch with me
throughout the entire transaction.  They were great, and this solves some of
my concern and wish for a BookPort case with a speaker.  I gave the seller's
web site above, but the email address is:

billionsofbargains@xxxxxxxxx

and her name is Yolanda Hamilton.

I hope this detaled info might help some who were still looking for a
BookPort external speaker solution.

Happy Reading!

Marlaina Lieberg