[bookport] Re: questions and comments from a new user

  • From: "MARIA DELGADO" <mdelgado@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>, <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:00:39 -0400

Hello Jim,

I have a suggestion for your music comment.  Assuming you have placed
your Book Port in automatic file advancement, use the key 3 for one beep
to skip a song, instead of the # key.  This will take you to the end of
the current file and place you at the beginning of the next one.

Maria

Maria E. Delgado
American Printing House
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY 40206
Phone: 800-223-1839 Ext. 340
E-mail: mdelgado@xxxxxxx
Web: www.aph.org

>>> PRADER@xxxxxxx 04/24/06 08:26AM >>>
Jim:

You cannot change the volume for the voice memoes, because they are
not
handled in the same way that all other audio files are.

You cannot create a new folder on the Book Port itself--that is, you
can't use the Book Port keypad to do it.  But you can, however, create
new folders within Book Port Transfer, by selecting the Book Port
folder
list and pick New Folder from the Context menu.

Sincerely,

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> jdenham@xxxxxxxxx 04/22/06 10:48AM >>>
Hi All:

I just received my Book Port a couple of days ago and subsequently
joined
this list.  I am really enjoying the product (fell asleep listening to
an
Audible title with it last night), but have some questions and
comments.
Maybe these are things I just missed in the documentation, so
apologies
in
advance if these are obvious questions.  I am running the 2.2
firmware.
First of all, is their a reason I can't change the volume on the fly
when
listening to a voice memo?  The volume controls seem to work fine when
the
memo is not playing and the memo playback respects these settings, but
trying to increase or decrease the volume while a memo is actually
playing
only produces a beep.  Shouldn't these volume controls work the way
they do
when listening to other audio files?  Secondly, it would really be
nice
if
the settings menu had a setting that would disable Book Ports ability
remember the last position in an audio file.  While I realize this is
extremely helpful when listening to audio books, such as Audible or
books in
the MP3 format, it is not so good for those of us who listen to MP3
music
files.  I use the star and number keys to quickly skim through MP3
music
files in a particular folder of my flash card.  I do this while the
files
are playing as I don't want to have to stop and start constantly.  If
just
listen to part of a song and move to the next song, the original song
is
started at the point where I left it when I come back to it.  This is
annoying as I like to always start songs from the beginning.  As I
say,
know this feature of the product is very helpful in most situations
and
the
product is called book Port and not Music Port, but having the ability
disable this feature would be extremely helpful.  Finally, how does
one
create a folder on the Flash card using only the Book Port?  The
documentation mentions that files should be placed in folders to avoid
many files in the root of the card, but no mention, that I could find,
is
given to how to create folders using Book Port.  Thus far, I've been
doing
this with a pc and a card reader, but would really like the ability to
create folders when I am on the go.  Is this possible?
Despite these questions, I am really enjoying the product and applaud
APH's
development efforts.

Jim Denham
E-mail: jdenham@xxxxxxxxx