[bookport] Re: questions about audible.com

  • From: "Rik James" <d28rik@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 12:40:32 -0700

Kasondra,

First, I know what you mean about how hard it is to search Audible's site. I
still struggle with it.  We have a membership and do enjoy it.  But as for
magazines, they don't really offer that many.  I put down below what I am
aware of and found when re-visiting Audible's site.

Two other sources I use for magazines are Web Braille from NLS and Newsline
which I download through my membership in Bookshare.  There still are quite
a number of magazines that do cassette mailings but not that many yet doing
the mp3 audio format that I know about.  Plus I am still trying to scan the
magazines of my own interests but it is a labor of love and way too time
consuming.

Here is what I found for you.
But I again would say I actually read a lot more periodicals using my
Bookport by reading them in Daisy or in braille and rich text formats, even
finding things online and saving them and putting them on the bookport.
There is so much to read, and never enough time to read it all.

Within the different membership plans you get a daily Audible digest of the
New York Times or Wall Street Journal.  I read that for awhile, until I
decided I would rather download the whole paper in Daisy and read what I
choose.

NEWSPAPERS & MAGAZINES  listed curretnly with Audible include.

1. The New Yorker  (2 hours digest)
    note:  this complete magazine is also now downloadable in Daisy or BRF
format on Newsline & Bookshare, as is the Economist magazine.
2. Science News (weekly 1 hour digest)
3. Audible Fast Company (five or six articles chosen by Audible.)

There may be more, but as you say, it is tricky to browse this site.

I have over time subscribed  to some of the NPR radio shows available from
Audible. We loved having Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which they don't currently
offer.  But I do really enjoy my Audible subscription to the Monday through
Friday editions of the Bob Edwards show on XM that they offer. Bob brings a
variety of news, the arts, music, books, and sports.  I like that I can get
them anytime in my library on Audible.  I think it is the best show out
there, but that might be that it suits my interests the most.

Hope that helps. And Good luck!

Rik