[bookport] question for the techies

  • From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:30:38 -0400

One of the cool things about Windows XP is that once the Bookport is done
receiving files, one can immediately unplug it from the USB cable without
fear of losing cached data as in Windows 2000.

On the other hand, I lost a partition for an external drive two or three
times, and the Maxtor people told me that "especially with xp" one should
always use the "safely remove hardware" option in the system tray before
unplugging their drive as it may not have been provided the latest partition
by Windows and may thus lose the table if unplugged even though the backup
or whatever is long over.

OK, you brains, which is it?  Should you be able to unplug an external drive
immediately in xp such as the bookport, or must one really always use the
"safely remove hardware" option as stated by the Maxtor people.

The person with the answer which seems the truest will get my undying
gratitude.  Thanks all.

Don Barrett