[bookport] Re: questins about the book port

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 15:41:40 -0400

Hello:

We currently have about 300 Book Ports in stock.  Once that supply is
gone, we will no longer be selling the Book Ports.  However, even though
we won't be selling them, we will continue to do repairs on these units,
will part supplies last.  We have enough parts to last another couple of
years.

It is difficult to tell you exactly how long a transfer will take,
because it depends on a number of factors, such as the speed of the
computer, the size of the file and whether or not you are transferring
the material as is, or whether you are doing some extra processing and
conversion, as converting text to MP3 files.  If you are transfering an
Etext book, with no conversions, it will transfer within a matter of
seconds.  An MP3 song of about 3 minutes in length (which is about 3
meg.) will transfer in about 1 minute or so, but quite frankly I've
never timed it, so I'm just guessing here.  If you're sending an audio
book, it could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes or longer.  I
can't really answer that question.  Therefore, when transferring large
audio files, it is best to transfer one file at a time, as it gets quite
lengthy, so it is better not to tie things up.

The battery life depends on the listening material and the type of
battery.  If you are listening to text files, you'll get about 50 or 60
hours on AA alkalein batteries.  With audio files, you'll get 20 or 30
hours.

The new Book Ports will be released sometime this Fall.

Sincerely,

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> mohitkhatanhar@xxxxxxxxx 05/03/07 03:22PM >>>

Hi there,

since i would like to buy a book port, I would like to no a few thinks,

about it, , since i have never used 1,
1,
how much time does it take to transfer both the e text, and audio, to
it?
for igzampil a 100 m b ? audio book, and e text?
2,
how much does the batry work wile reading an audio book, and e text?
and last,
after the new bp is in the markit, will there be surviss support for
the old
1, in kase if any part faylls will there be an replaysment for that
part, i
meen will the old part's be avelable?
please get back, by and take care,
mohit.