[bookport] Re: problem with sapi voices

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:29:06 -0400

Hi Missy.

There is no reason why you can't have both Mike and Crystal, but I'm
afraid you're going to have to contact tech support for AT&T to find out
what's going on there.  We just license the speech from them to give you
a high quality option for TTS.

>>> melissah@xxxxxxxx Saturday, August 19, 2006 8:15:21 PM >>>
Hello, all. I realize that this question isn't strictly book port
related,
but I'm still hoping that since it is speech related, someone on this
list
might be able to offer some assistance in resolving the problem I'm
experiencing.
The problem began when I installed the At&t natural voices from
nextup.com.
I had Mike from purchasing Book Wizard Reader, but wanted to be able to
use
Crystal, especially given the new feature in the book port that allows
for
text files to be made into mp3 audio. Anyway, when all was said and
done, I
ended up with two versions of the AT&T Mike voice listed in the speech

applet in
my control panel, and the Crystal voice played as Mike. Thinking that
doing
so might resolve the problem, I uninstalled the version of the at&t tts

engine and Mike voice which came with Book Wizard Reader.
It did, but there were still two versions of the mike voice listed, one
of
which worked fine, and one of which says it is unable to play. This
made
sense since I had uninstalled the aph software, but I mistakenly
assumed
that part of the uninstall process would include removing the voice
from
the list of voices available in the tts tab of the speech aplet. Unless
I'm
missing something, there doesn't seem to be
any way to delete a voice that is no longer installed so that it won't
show
up in the speech applet any longer.
The main reason that this became an issue is because it seems that
having a
voice that is no longer installed has caused
the game of Life I downloaded from Kitchensinc.net to stop working. It

simply produces an error screen. I think this is because the APH
version of
At&T Mike was the last one the game used.
Since I couldn't find a way to remove the voice from the text to speech
tab
of the speech aplet, I tried reinstalling it in hopes that it would
work,
even though that would mean having two identical voices; I figured that
was
better than having 2 duplicates and only one that worked properly.
Consequently, I reinstalled the high quality speech portion of the Book

Wizard reader CD, and even after restarting my
computer, it didn't seem to have done any good. The Mike voice which
was
included with Book Wizard Reader still wasn't functional, and the life
game
was still crashing.
The next thing I did was to uninstall anything and everything that had
do with at&t natural voices: both the book wizard version and the mike
and
crystal voices from nextup.com. The Mike and Crystal voices from
nextup.com
uninstalled with no trouble, and as I had expected, they were no longer

listed in the list of available voices, but even after a through
uninstall,
the Mike voice from the Book Wizard Reader CD was still listed, even
though
it wasn't able to play..
Next, I reinstalled the high quality speech portion of the Book Wizard

Reader CD, and got that voice working again. My game from
Kitchensinc.net
stopped crashing, and all was well. However, I still didn't have the
Crystal voice, which was what I really wanted in the first place. So, I

reinstalled only the Crystal voice from the nextup.com cds. It includes
the
tts engine, but I didn't think that would be a problem. The end result
is
that crystal is installed, but still sounds identical to Mike.
So, I suppose the point of this message is to ask whether or not anyone

knows of a way that I can use both voices, either by finding a way to
completely remove the book wizard reader version and use both voices
from
Nextup.com, or by using the book wizard version of Mike and the
nextup.com
version of Crystal. Any and all suggestions would be greatly
appreciated,
and once again, I apologize for posting something that isn't strictly
book
port related to this list. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you
may
have, and I hope that everyone is having a really great day.
Missy