[bookport] Re: power

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:36:24 -0500

Those are certainly some ideas that we have considered.

>>> david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx Thursday, February 02, 2006 1:52:10 AM

Larry,

would battery terminals last better if you were droping batteries into
a hole with a door or cap that slides over the top than the current
format where batteries are pushed in and pulled out.  It would seem that
there is less yanking and pulling on those kind of terminals.

Another thought would be to mold the metal terminal ends into the
plastic casing of the unit so they could not move around and break as
easily as in the BookPort.

: >>> buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Wednesday, February 01, 2006
2:46:28
: PM >>>
: I actually don't really think this is a good idea.  With a cell
: phone,
: battery replacement is a real problem.  Yes, the battery is user
: replaceable, but, for example, my new cell phone has a $50.00
battery,
: which may or may not be available in 3 or 5 years.  I'd hate to have
: scrap my bookport because its battery was no longer manufactured.
: While I
: recognize that the current system has its drawbacks, and having a
lot
: of
: units come back with bent battery terminals is frustrating, I think
: better approach would be to try and design a better battery loading
: mechanism which would accomodate similarly commoditized batteries,
but
: which was less prone to user error.  For example, one solution might
be
: put the battery door on the side of the unit.  The door itself would
: have a
: metal backing on it, and the batteries themselves could be slit into
: individual slots which would then be connected once the door was
slid
: into
: place.  The terminals at the back end of the compartment would be
: virtually
: unreachable by folks, and the slots themselves would guide the
: batteries in
: at the proper angle.  If the battery cover was damaged or lost, it
: could be
: easily replaced.
: For examples similar to what I'm talking about, look at digital
: cameras which take AA batteries.  Many of them use a design which
: exposes
: the ends of the batteries, rather than the sides of the batteries.
:
: -Brian
: On Feb 1,  1:12pm, "Richard Ring" wrote:
: } I could go along with that, provided the battery was easily
: obtainable
: } and not too expensive.
: } I would  also want a way to charge the battery outside the unit
: though,
: } so I could have a spare.  Larry, I use the Bookport every day, not
: just
: } once in a while.  I cannot stress this enough.  I use the thing
all
: of
: } the time, I probably read at least two books per week.  It keeps
me
: off
: } the street!
: }
: } >>> ring.richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Wednesday, February 01, 2006
: } 12:39:22 PM >>>
: } I must chime in here.  I have never had a problem with the current
: } battery contacts.  And I would hate to see the batteries become
: } something that cannot not be replaced by the user.  There are many
: } battery charging systems that allow users to recharge batteries,
and
: I
: } firmly believe that having the ability to replace the batteries
: makes
: } the Bookport portable and easy to use.  Think about it, APH, if
: there
: } were some kind of proprietary battery system, you'd have even more
: } Bookports coming in for repair than you ever did for battery
contact
: } issues.  People would have to routinely send their devices for
: service
: } when the battery died.
: }