[bookport] Re: power

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:13:21 -0600

I have a small radio that has several power options. It has a nonreplaceable rechargeable battery. You can also use replaceable double a's. The radio has a built-in battery charger that charges 3 different ways. First: you can plug it in to the wall. Second, it has a crank. You crank it 1 minute for a 20 minute charge. Third, it has a solar panel. The radio isn't that large, and it only cost me $34.00. Depending on how long you charge it, the battery lasts a long time. I'm not too worried about how APH decides to handle the battery situation. Remember, Larry is a Bookport user himself! He knows what we need.

At 03:02 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:

Those who bring up the idea of cell phone style batteries may well have
never attempted to purchase replacement batteries.  They are as
proprietary as anything can ever be.  Companies like Nokia and Motorola
have just a few more dollars to invest in R&D Than APH.  Therefore, they
can design sophisticate charging circuitry and create batteries that
have no other function than to power your cell phone.  I use my Bookport
far more than I use my cell phone, and although my cell charges
extremely rapidly, it still needs to charge.  And when it does, it is no
longer a portable device.    My Bookport, on the other hand, is in fact
a portable device.  I don't need to worry about chargers or AC outlets.
I simply have the ability to read, anywhere.  I would hate to give that
up.

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Arrigo Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 7:56 PM To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [bookport] Re: power

Perhaps an idea might be to do it the way some police scanners do. They take regular aa batteries, and you can recharge them if they are rechargeable, I'm really not in favor of a special battery, I usually use the energizer e2 lithium batteries, and those last forever, I can't remember the last time I changed them. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joni Colver" <joni.colver@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:21 AM Subject: [bookport] Re: power

> I agree with David's post below. Proprietary battery systems are generally > inconvenient for the customer and more expensive than other options. > > I am not familiar with current cell phone batteries, the type of battery > used or the life of a charge. Portability is the reason I bought the Book > Port and I like the availability of off-the-shelf inexpensive batteries. > > It will be interesting to see what a new version of the Book Port will > offer. Technology is never static. Just some thoughts from a totally > satisfied Book Port user. > > Joni > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "David Tanner" <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > I think one big thing that we all agree with is that we would want something > that is not so tightly tied to the BookPort that the only place one could go > to get an extra battery or replacement would be APH. If you guys aren't > aware, one of the biggest pains with BrailleNote, and to some extent with > PacMate is the need to go back to the company with any battery issues, and > the cost for the company to replace the battery plus the amount of time the > unit is out of service are both a genuine pain to the user, and usually to > us as a state agency trying to find a way for the person to still have some > kind of unit that the person can use while their unit is being repaired. > >

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A