[bookport] Re: possible bug

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:25:16 -0400

Don, we are both right. We are hiding those options, because they do not =
apply to music files. So, your inference that you can hit Send As Music to =
avoid compression is correct, unless you are sending a DTB or an Aubible =
file. Those files are always sent as spoken word content, and thus are =
always subject to any compression that is in effect, regardless of the =
availability of the compression settings for changing.

Unfortunately, I have know idea what might be sent; I only know that in =
the case of plain MP3 files, the Send As Music check box works as you =
would expect, and those options should be hidden. So, if all you send are =
MP3 files, the UI is correct. If you send Audible files, the UI may be a =
little confusing. But like I said, if you want to send Audible and music =
files at the same time, you can simply check Send As Music, and be sure =
that the software will handle everything the best way. That is, music =
files are not time/pause compressed; Audible files are sent using the =
compression settings set the last time you changed them.

Rob Meredith

>>> Don.Barrett@xxxxxx 10/04/04 09:43AM >>>
Sorry Rob, not sure what you are getting at.  What I'm saying is that =3D
the Audible books were compressed and I didn't want them to be.  I had =3D
assumed by the behavior of the software (hiding the audio options when =3D
send as music is checked) that this in fact disabled compression.  If =3D
not, then why hide the audio options box when music is checked?  That is =
=3D
my real question.  In other words, an action which hides a group of =3D
settings usually means that those settings don't apply in that =3D
situation, but in fact they did, and the files were compressed.

Am I confusing you <smile.

Thanks.

Don