[bookport] noisy audible files

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:52:33 -0500

Good morning folks.

I wonder if anyone has experienced what I find in many of the audible books
I read, that, even at the highest quality (4), there is a discernable burst
of static-like noise with the onset of many words. Although I have not
attempted to quantify the level of this extraneous noise in our lab, I would
estimate it to be at about 5 percent of the sound level, not at all
disruptive but noticeable nonetheless. This noise may, of course, emanate
from Audible itself, occurring at compression time, or it may result during
processing and transfer to the bookport.

If anyone else has noticed this or has a suggestion for reducing this noise,
I would be glad to have comments.

Hoping that everyone is enjoying better weather than we are, there being
lots of black ice and some snow at sub-freezing temperatures here in Ottawa.

Cheers,

Jerry