[bookport] Re: new unit proposal

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:24:30 -0500

Hey!  GPS is a thought!  ...Especially with my mobility skills!  (Smile!!!)

I am enjoying this discussion. Just because someone does or does not like a particular suggested feature, that doesn't mean at all he/she is cutting another person down. Yes... we have had some of that, but not in this discussion.

At 07:04 PM 9/15/2005, you wrote:
People,

I have sat here and read over 74 messages on why we should this and
that, why progress is good, why its bad, and some of you crapping all
over the ideas put forth by others. What makes me sit here and grind my
teeth is the fact that yes we can all agree the BP first and above all
was designed to be a book reading device. Why does it have to remain
just that and that's all. If you have one and it serves your needs, then
don't upgrade, forget the future, keep what you have its doing what you
want.
I personally see so many possibilites, advantages, and so forth and for
that matter some excellent ideas posted. First of all how do any of you
know that APH will be working with Springer on the next BP? Has APH
stated that onlySpringer would be considered, how do you know APH might
just strike out on their own and design a product from the ground up.
Larry and company certainly have the technical abilities to do pretty
much anything they put their minds too. For one I can address a
calculator right off. I was taking a math course and I have some
questions on thsi topic, but latter. My point is that I had to drag my
laptop to class and you know with the note taking ability of the BP I
wanted to use it for that, but I needed a calculator. Now so that means
if I wanted to use the BP, I'd have to drag along a calculator, now a
student could simply take the BP and it could serve both purposes. Why
not? We all want and enjoy the small package of the BP and for a
student, this would be a real benefit. So we have mp3 capability, this
is good and I for one use the BP for books, podcasts, and sometimes
music. So now we have a device that takes care of many needs already in
its current state so certainly keeping cost down and providing the unit
with its initial intended purpose is important, but to not consider
enhancements that would give it more functionallity for a wider user
base, just makes no sense. Remembe when you could purchase a car with or
without ac? Well I doubt you could get a car without ac. The point is
that after a while it became cost effective t just put them in and not
charge the customer for the ac. So if the BP went up another $50 or
$100, but yet provided some incredible features that maybe not all would
use, but made it more useful to those who wanted it, why not.
Consider that computers come with all kinds of junk mostly in software
you'll never use, do you tell the manufacturer or the place you purchase
it "I dont need that take it off." Of course not you buy the whole bag
and what about other items we purchase. I mean ay I purchased many
things in my life that had more junk than I ever wanted or needed, but
it wouldn't make sense for APH to start designing a basic version and
pro version of a product. This topic has come up so offtent and results
in so much disagreement it makes no sense. All I'm trying to say is
before you hit the reply key and just catagorically blow an idea off,
think about whether or not you need it, could other use it, and gee
would it really be that big a deal. I am sure all that has been added
has cost little other than the cost of paying the folks to write code
and maybe a number of the features would again only be a matter of cost
in programming.
I am sure with all the technology available now, I bet APH could add so
much into the BP that it would blow your mind and yes it would mean a
redesign of the unit, but we can sit and speculate cost and so forth
till the cows come home.
Imagine this as an idea. What if they could add bluetooth and you could
send your books without having to even plug the thing in? Imagine having
the ability to have this and usb, just imagine, just think outside the
box and let your mind run wild. There's no reason to not wish or suggest
or toss ideas around. Sorry I ramble on so, but it really is frustrating
when folks only focus on one area and don't step back now and again to
consider other possibilities; gee this comes from a ISTJ no less.
Ay wouldnt it be cool Larry if you could record your podcasts on that
BP? I bet you carry all kinds of things with you everyday. Ok now I'll
crawl back into my hole, but at least consider what I have written
before you start tossing fireballs at me. Oh and don't forget, inovation
is what made this country great.
So, now where's my BP with GPS...grin

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218