[bookport] Re: new book port

  • From: Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:05:28 -0600

Bruce, the point is, that "human sounding" voice, one of the worse human sounding voices ever deviced, for memory intensive apps are the Samantha and Tom voices, just a huge let down compared to almost any synthesizer, e.g. Dectalk, DoubleTalk, even Keynote, it is the worse in "human qualities." I don't know which the pocket uses regarding it's OS and that is probably why the Tom and Samantha voices, it is just unfortunate that they could not put in a DoubleTalk chip into the unit and re-direct the text to it rather than all the space for the human recorded speech as in the Stream or Pocket. I agree with many on this list and other lists that those voices are the worse Human sounding speech synthesizers there are, even the Cepstral voices are better than Samantha and Tom voices. If Eloquence was available as software speech, why not use that or make it a choice? Because of the OS involved, Eloquence isn't written for it, I know, that is why I ask why not just pop in a DoubleTalk chip, and not use that awful speech. :) Practical is, what practical does, and that kind of practical means a higher learning curve for listening to text, higher learning than using a DoubleTalk chip since most of us are more familiar with that.

Gotta go eat lunch and pray with our pastor first.

Curtis Delzer.
HS.

on Tuesday 2/9/2010 01:04 PM, Bruce Toews said:
A little reality check might perhaps be beneficial at this point.

APH, when it comes to book readers, is not in the hardware design
business. What they do, and they do it incredibly well, is take
preexisting hardware and write firmware for it. In the case of the Book
Port, there were a few key layout changes, but for all intents and
purpose, the inner workings of the unit were a Book Courier, and APH was
marvelously able to write their own firmware for it.

In the case of the Book Port Plus, the guts of the unit is a PlexTalk
Pocket. This is no secret, APH has been very straightforward about that.
APH as again rewritten the firmware, and I have absolutely no doubt that
it will be favulous.

The DoubleTalk is a hardware-based synthesizer. That means it has a
physical chip. It's not just a program that runs in a unit, it is an
actual chip that takes up space, runs, etc. So if the PlexTalk currently
doesn't have a DoubleTalk, APH isn't jgoing to be able to write a
DoubleTalk program. They would have to be able to physically alter the
unit by putting in a brand new chip.

As developers, companies like APH just can't win. When the Book Port was
in production, there was a great deal of complaining that APH didn't
have one of the more "human"-sounding voices in it. Now that the new
unit will, people are complaining just as much because it's not the old
Double-Talk. Why these companies even bother trying to please people is
an absolute mystery to me. It's got to be one of the most thankless jobs
on the planet: you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. I
assure you that if APH had found a way to have a DoubleTalk chip
installed, assuming that the chip is still even being made and will be
in the future as the new unit progresses, the outcry would have been
just as strong. They simply can't win no matter what they decide, so
they had to make the decision that made the most sense to them.

Bruce