[bookport] Re: mp3's

  • From: "Tom Scanlan" <tom.scanlan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:17:00 -0600

The real question in any suggestion is not only is it a good idea, but will
it distract from other functions by creating increased complexity that it is
not worth it.  The hardware cost is usually the least concern since Moore's
Law is still holding true.  The more complex any software becomes (and
firmware is software after all), the more it is likely to have bugs and
design flaws.  I long ago learned as a programmer that every time you change
something in one area it can upset other things that were working perfectly.

The main question is should BookPort remain a master of one trade (book
reading), or a jack of all trades (book reader, music player, recorder, note
taker, radio, GPS, etc.).   It has already started down the
jack-of-all-trades route with the first four functions.  The discussions on
this list of the current test release shows how the note taker has upset
some other functions that were working fine.

That does not mean that new functions should not be added, just that they
must be carefully thought out and a good benefit/risk analysis performed.
Everyone wants some function and marketing always wants new ones to sell.

Remember that DOS was simple and reliable.  It was enhanced into Windows,
and we all know how simple and reliable that is.  Windows has some very good
functions that I could not live without today, but there has been a definite
cost including viruses and spyware.  Similar cost happens to all software as
it is made more complex to perform more functions.

I, for one, what BookPort to remain a master of book reading.