[bookport] Re: mp3 playback

  • From: "Mark Lee" <lee.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:20:23 -0600

Hi, John.  I am pasting the portion of the bookport manual that tells you
how to speed up audio files with the bookport transfer software.  Hope this
helps.

Mark

 Experienced audio listeners will quickly desire a means of speeding up the
playback of spoken word audio content. Since there is not a way to perform
this speedup with commands on the Book Port device, the transfer software
offers a method of using your PC to perform the speedup then sends that
reduced file to the device. There are two settings you can use to both
reduce the size of an audio file and make the listening experience less
time-consuming.

 The audio compression settings work with all audio files.

 Time Compression

 The Compress Time checkbox determines whether or not Book Port Transfer
attempts to alter your file to make listening faster. If this control is
checked, the Advanced Audio Options dialog contains a Time Compression Speed
edit box where you may enter a number between 1 and 3 to specify how fast
the playback speed should occur. The values you enter in this control
dictate the aggressiveness of the software's time compression routines.
Using a value of 1.5, for example, makes the resulting file flay at a 50%
increase in the rate of speech. The number 2 specifies double the rate, and
3 specifies a rate three times normal.

 Compress Pauses

 The pause compression features of the transfer software provide a
convenient means of reducing the amount of space between sentences,
sections, and other divisions in the audio. If the Compress Pauses checkbox
is checked, the software eliminates a percentage of any pause it finds that
is longer than a minimum pause length that you specify.

 The Compress By edit box lets you type a percentage value the software uses
to reduce pause lengths. If you entered 50 in this box, the software reduces
the length of each pause it finds by 50 percent.

 The Ignore Pauses Less Than control lets you enter a value in milliseconds
the software uses as a minimum pause length. If any pause the program finds
is less than this length, the software ignores that pause.

 Previewing the Effects of Compression

 Once you have set advanced audio options, you may wish to preview the file
before sending it to the device. The Preview window plays the file with the
new time compression settings. Unfortunately, the preview window does not
currently offer a means of testing the pause compression setting.