[bookport] mists of avalon--Re: Re: File sizes

  • From: "Ed Meskys" <edmeskys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:34:59 -0400

Mists of Avalon, published around 1984, by Marion Zimmer Bradley is a
retelling of the King Arthur story from a feminist and pagan viewpoint.
There have been several other books, set in the centuries before Arthur, by
Marion and her literary heir Diana L. Paxson. First of these, Forest House,
is based on an opera of Romans in Britain fighting against the Druids, but
from the Druid viewpoint. Was the opera Norma? (Marion has novelized at
least one other opera, The Magic Flute, Night's Daughter, and when she died
she left her whole fortune to the San Francisco Opera.) Marion was a popular
science fiction writer until Mists broke thru into the literary mainstream
and became a major best-seller outside of genre publishing. While I do not
resonate with her pagan viewpoint I found her and Diana's novels excellent.
Best,
Edmund R. Meskys
edmeskys@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Niekas Publications