[bookport] Re: memos

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:45:16 -0400

We are not committed to this weak link at all.  The memo feature's =
weakness is partially harware related though, and we desire to make this =
better in a future hardware revision.

>>> jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx Sunday, August 01, 2004 8:41:41 AM >>>
While just about everyone, including myself, agrees about the excellence =
of
the BookPort as it now stands, assuredly one of the most useful devices
released in recent years, we also concur, as do a p h people, that the =
voice
quality of memos is less than poor. From what one gathers from Larry, =
Robert
and Pamela, we are to be saddled with this problem, no matter future
improvements in software. This suggests that the sampling rate can only be
changed if the mother board is accordingly revised, not an altogether
appealing prospect for those of us who already have units. I suspect that
this unusually low rate was determined to save space on what was, then,
expensive flash cards. Given price drops for flash cards, most of us well
beyond 64mb now, I suggest that a p h see to it that appropriate changes =
the hardware be made, preserving other features, so that memos are
intelligible in any place but a quiet room. Nearly every digital memory =
unit
sold, low-cost or more expensive, allows for varying sample rate, the =
better
quality the speech, the greater amount of memory. We could very easily =
have
good quality memory in the BookPort with now minimal cost to us in terms =
of
memory. A question. Why are the people at a p h so firmly committed to =
what
all of us recognize as a very week link in an otherwise very impressive
chain?

Jerry
jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx=20