[bookport] Re: memo recording

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:27:55 -0400

As you might know, there are no attachments allowed on this list, so you
will have to send that recording directly to the email address of the
person that wanted it.

>>> m.d.justice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Monday, April 11, 2005 2:05:38 PM >>>
Per Brandon's request:
I have made a sample WAV file using the memo recording feature on the
BookPort and have attached the file to this Email.  The recorded
product
will probably reflect my limited experience with this function, but it
was a
learning experience for me as I made the recording.  I first had to
train
myself to use only quick presses of the "E" key while in recording
mode, to
        pause and resume.  My tendency was to hold the key down for a
one-beep
function even though I was already in the memo mode.
For the voice recording, I held the BookPort about three inches from
my
mouth, and spoke in a normal conversation level voice.  Holding the
microphone area closer causes some overload distortion.  The recorded
music
passage came out well, but the sample reading of part of the BP manual
by
JAWS was probably either a little too close to the speaker or just too
much
volume.  If it is necessary to whisper when recording, other
compensations
would need to be made for distance from the microphone.
When I first received the BookPort, I could not locate the microphone
tactually, as I tried to feel a series of slots or small holes.  My
wife saw
a very small, single hole in the panel with the headphone jack and USB
port.
This can be felt with a Braille stylus, and it is near the lower right
corner of the USB port (with the keyboard oriented toward your body).
The
hole is small enough that the stylus tip will just barely dip into it.
have not had any practical use of the memo feature yet, but I am glad
it is
there for times when I may be traveling, or attending a seminar, with a
need
to take brief notes.

Mike Justice.
www.MPNHome.net