[bookport] Re: life of a CF card

  • From: Chris Hill <hillco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:27:53 -0500

The first thing to understand about flash is that it is not forever.
Flash can only be written a certain number (a rather large number
but...) of times before the area being written refuses to write.
That'll likely happen somewhere in the directory structure or file
allocation table, and since they can't be put somewhere else, that
means the card is pretty much useless.  Only reason bookport would be
harder on the card than other devices is how much we use them, copying
and deleting information.