[bookport] Re: hard disk storage and the Book Port

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:15:47 -0700

        Hello Eamonn.  Using Winzip to compress your mp3 files will, in fact,
cause the mp3 files to take more space than they do as ordinary mp3 files.
The only reason to use winzip to package up the mp3 files is if you feel
the need to copy around a bunch of files conveniently.
        As a second choice, you might consider buying an external hard disk to
put your mp3 files on.  Or, alternatively, you could burn them to CD,
where they could sit in perpetuity until you need them.
-Brian
On Aug 3, 10:06am, eoconnor@xxxxxxx wrote:
} Subject: [bookport] hard  disk storage and the Book Port
} This is a multipart message in MIME format.
} --=_alternative 00320CB7802571BF_=
}
} Hi folks,
}
} I store a lot of mp3 files on my hard disk.  As a result, it's beginning
} to fill up quicker than I'd like!
}
} I realise these files are already compressed when compared to wav files.
}
} I'm wondering though, can I save disk space by zipping them in winzip?  Of
} course, I know they'd need to be unzipped prior to transfer to the Book
} Port,
} for on-the-move listening.
}
} At the moment, I'm not familiar with Winzip, as I haven't yet had a need
} to use it.
}
} thanks for any advice.
}
} Eamonn
}
} **********************************************************************
} This communication is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may
} contain privileged and/or other confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient,
} or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not
print, copy,
} retransmit, disclose, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use the
information.
} Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email message
in error,
} and delete the copy you have received.
}
} For more information on the Office of the Refugee Applications
} Commissioner please consult our website at www.orac.ie
}
} This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
} MAILsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
} **********************************************************************
}
}
} --=_alternative 00320CB7802571BF_=
}
}
} <br>
} <br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I store a lot of mp3 files on my hard
} disk. &nbsp;As a result, it's beginning to fill up quicker than I'd
like!</font>
} <br>
} <br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I realise these files are already
compressed
} when compared to wav files.</font>
} <br>
} <br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">I'm wondering though, can I save disk
} space by zipping them in winzip? &nbsp;Of course, I know they'd need to
} be unzipped prior to transfer to the Book Port, </font>
} <br>
} <br><font size=2 face="sans-serif">At the moment, I'm not familiar with
} Winzip, as I haven't yet had a need &nbsp;to use it.</font>
} <br>
} <br>
} <BR>
} **********************************************************************<BR>
} This communication is intended solely for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may<BR>
} contain privileged and/or other confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient,<BR>
} or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not
print, copy,<BR>
} retransmit, disclose, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use the
information.<BR>
} Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email message
in error,<BR>
} and delete the copy you have received.<BR>
} <BR>
} For more information on the Office of the Refugee Applications<BR>
} Commissioner please consult our website at www.orac.ie<BR>
} <BR>
} This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>