[bookport] future of compactflash cards

  • From: "Mike Arrigo" <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 18:57:59 -0500

Hi all, I read an interesting article today, and was just wondering what
everyone thought on this. Of course, you can't always believe everything you
read, especially on the internet, but, it was basically talking about the
different types of flash memory, compactflash, multimedia card, secure
digital, xd picture card, and the memory stick. The interesting part of the
article was that it was saying that with there smaller form factors, the
multimedia card, secure digital and smart media cards were rapidly being
used in place of compactflash cards in cameras, pdas, and mp3 players, and
that the compactflash card was becoming obsolescent, and would probably
disappear from the market with in the next year or two. I can't help but
wonder if there is any truth to this? I've actually never seen any of the
other types of cards, so I wonder if there is anything better about them, or
if it's just a different type of connector, but the same result.
Compactflash does seem to have the largest storage out of all of them, but,
even still, it was kind of an interesting article.