[bookport] Re: future of bookport

  • From: "Borst, Randall" <reborst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:05:29 -0500

What amazes me about all this is that while the sighted world struggles
over whether BlueRay or HD DVD will control the 1080P consumer movie
market, the blind struggle with not just two but a whole variety of
formats for electronic books and all the different machines required to
play them.  The notion that there should be so much competition over who
is going to write the files and make the products to read electronically
to a few million blind people around the world would no doubt surprise
even the most boisterous of advocates for chaos and anarchy.  Meanwhile,
the very least expensive of these devices cost more than the least
expensive of DVD players, regardless of type, while the most expensive
of these devices cost an amount that would buy a DVD player fit for a
king.

I think it's time for leaders in the field to get together and come up
with one format that everybody can use, regardless of which machine the
consumer chooses.  We know that, whatever we buy, we are going to have
to pay entirely too much money because our market is so small.
Regardless, the various formats aren't about protecting copyrights, they
are about lunacy.  And don't even get me started with the rinky-tink
software readers out there for reading DAISY files.

  _____