[bookport] firmware blues

  • From: "Borst, Randall" <reborst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:10:31 -0400

<res://C:\Program%20Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Program\web_ie.dll/Q
MARK.GIF>
<res://C:\Program%20Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Program\web_ie.dll/A
RROW.GIF>
Yesterday, I plugged in, downloaded and installed the new firmware
update, but then I believe I must have made a procedural error.  I must
have plugged back in before the firmware finished installing.  Because
now, I can't download any books all I get is an error message on the
computer indicating that I can't get past a filter for non-APH software.
Subsequently, when I plug it back up, the software again gives me the
opportunity to update the firmware.  But then, when I try it, I run into
an error and the process won't finish.  The error message gives me the
opportunity to back out or ignore the error, which is not recommended.
I've tried both, but I always get the same result.  The unit has become
unusable.

Have I totally ruined the unit, or is there any hope for my doing
something to put it right?

At the moment, my BookPort is resting comfortably in my desk drawer,
absent batteries and reformatted memory card.  I plan to put it back
together this evening and see if it works.

Otherwise, do I need to send it back for new insides?

Randy Borst
Director of Disability Services
25 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo