[bookport] file transfer time experiment

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookport" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:50:02 -0600

I just     sent a 1 megabyte file to the book port in 3 different
formats.  The 1 meg file took 4     seconds as a txt file.  When I
sent it as a Word file, it took 27 seconds.  When I sent it to book
port as an html file from the Windows Explorer "Send to" menu, it took
1.5 minutes.  I can't tell you how fast the transfer will be from
within internet explorer itself.  I have usually found this method of
transferring html files faster than being in Windows explorer and
sending from the "Send to" menu, but JAWS wouldn't open the 1 megabyte
html file on my hard drive without stalling.

So, the bottom line is, at least in my opinion, txt files are much
quicker and since html files and word files are first transferred to
txt before they are sent from the book port, I often simply do the
transfer to txt in Word or Internet explorer and make the transfer to
book port happen much quicker.
Neal