[bookport] Re: file names question

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:24:58 -0700

You all will probably cringe at this one but when I started downloading Web
Braille books to my computer in 2000 I never renamed anything.  The problem
is, of course, those numbers are totally meaningless.  I was for some time
trying to keep a list of the titles and their numbers but not recently.  I
have probably over 100 volumes of Web Braille on my Braille note, and
probably at least as many files from Bookshare, which do have real titles
there too.  So far, because I have not wanted to rename files, the books I
have transported to the book port have been Bookshare books.

One thing I was thinking about last night that I'd like to share!

When I was in school at Arizona State School for the Blind in the 1960's and
very early 1970's it was wonderful to go to the library and spend a bit of
time browsing and then selecting books, and it is probably the thing I
missed the most after graduation.  With the advent of Web Braille and Book
share, however, I am quite contented with all the books I can download and
save to read whenever I have time and the beauty of it is I don't have to
return any of them which means if I start a book and for whatever reason do
not finish it immediately I am not hurting anyone.  Between the Braille
Note, the Book Port and my computer with K1000 on board, I can read as many
books as I want, have them in different stages, read and decide it isn't my
kind of book after all, carry it with me, read in in braille using the
Braille note, or listen to it using the computer, the Braille Note or the
Book Port and  now I have no reason to miss the school library because I can
have it tailored to my reading tastes just with a few keystrokes.  This is
so cool to have access to thousands of books and to be able to choose to
read or not read, to start and abandon or decide to read it later and move
on to something else.  It is amazing.

I don't know about the rest of you but the past five years since they
started Web Braille, Book share and the devices such as the Braille Note,
the computer, and the Book port, there is no reason I have to be without
reading material.  In 1997, just eight years ago I fell in some mud and
broke my collarbone in two places.  At that time I could not read braille
because I read only left handed, or let's say I could but I had to move the
book with my right hand instead of my arm and hand so it was painful.  I ran
out of NLS cassettes--and it seemed that flipping cassettes was about all I
could do with either hand without pain.  I had a few days in which I had
absolutely nothing to listen to, days when I could not sleep, could not do
housework, days when I was so bored I wanted to die, when all that I could
find on TV was about Princess Di's death and drove my family so crazy that
they bought me some taped books or when to the public library for me because
I literally cried for lack of reading materials.  Eventually my library got
me back on schedule and I also healed but for about a week I was totally
miserable from pain and no escape reading.  That could never happen to me
again today.  So much has changed in the past eight years and I truly love
it.

Thanks for the Book port which is so small that carrying it with me is no
problem, but thanks for the Braille Note that lets me have it under my
fingers for times when that is best for me, or when I am listening to pod
casts or something.

Thanks for Bookshare and Web Braille.  Maybe some day I will actually check
out Audible.com but so far, I just do not have the time to do that.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx