[bookport] Re: feature idea

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 00:00:00 -0500

It is certainly doable. When downloading stuff to the BP, I would be too impatient to back up the cards. I know. One of these days, I will pay for that, probably.

At 05:09 PM 6/16/2006, you wrote:

Is there any reason the below wouldn't work?

1. Atach your Book Port.

2. Navigate to the BP drive in Windows Explorer. Tab to the list view.

3. Control+a to select all files and folders.

4. Press control+c to copy.

5. On your hard drive, create a BPbackup directory or some such, and just paste the whole mess into it. Then if you need to restore, you should be able to do so by, in effect, reversing the process. Is this not doable?

Bruce

--
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he
gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12 NIV

Bruce Toews

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Sarah Cranston wrote:

Don,

I'll heartily second this suggestion. Oh how I wish I'd backed up my 2GB card the day I was so eager to show my BookPort to my mother that I just pulled the card right out without making sure it had beeped first. Needless to say, everything on the card was gone and it had to be reformatted. It took literally weeks to put it all back the way I wanted it. I'm another one of those lazy people who never gets around to backing things up, so this feature would be great.

-----Original Message----- From: bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bookport-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Don Barrett Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 4:39 PM To: Bookport Subject: [bookport] feature idea

Hi All,

I just heard about someone who lost a bookport on an airplane and I got this
huge knot in my stomach just thinking about the prospect.  It would be bad
enough to have to replace the book port, but the thought of having to create
two gigs of numerous text and audio files with all of their attending
bookmarks would be a truly horrible prospect.

It gave me the thought that perhaps a feature for the transfer software
might be a backup card function.  This function, if activated, would open a
folder on the hard drive, and either compress or just plain copy the whole
card to it, bookmarks and all.  This could be an automatic feature which
happens once a week or whenever whenever the bp is hooked up.

Now I know the naysayer's will say hey if you want to backup the card, just
copy everything to a folder; but human nature says that most people just
will intend to do it but just plain won't because it's a bother and all
that.  Make it a feature which is easy and appeals to lazy people like me
and I'll jump on it.

The reason this feature might be doable is that it doesn't impinge upon the firmware at all; it's just another feature request for the transfer software.

Don

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A