[bookport] Re: case opening

  • From: John Milton <jon_mi1ton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:52:04 -0800 (PST)

Hi Kent,

I agree with Walt.  However, if you can't find a tech guy, here's some
suggestions:
1) After opening the case, ask a sighted person to check the connections of the
jack to the circuit board.  There should be 2 or 3 connections.  Make sure that
none of them are loose.

2) If something is loose, then you will have to resolder it.  Get a soldering
iron at Radio shack or fry's with a fine tip.  Expect to pay around $10-20.
You may also need some solder which will cost around $5-10.
Heat up the soldering iron and ask the sighted person to solder the jack back
on.

3) If the jack itself is broken, then show the jack to the sales guy at Radio
shack or fry's so you can get a matching jack.  Make sure it is stereo..  A new
jack may cost around $2-5.
Once you have the new jack, you must remove the old one.  Before you remove the
old one, I suggest taking a picture with a digital camera so that you have a
reference for the orientation of the jack.  Ask your sighted helper to use the
soldering iron to melt the solder around the old jack and remove it.  Then use
new solder to attach the new jack.

Good luck!

-jon

From: Walt Smith <ka3lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Well, unless you're thoroughly familiar with working
directly with tiny circuit and circuit card technology, I wouldn't try doing
this yourself-
but you could alter the unit from simply damaged to totally destroyed pretty
easily without intending to.