[bookport] bookshare/bookpoort problems

  • From: "susan l. gerhart" <slger123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:37:18 -0700

Hi, I'm running into more frequent problems downloading and reading DAISY books
from bookshare.  I think these problems are due to faults from both bookshare
and Bookport and would like help clarifying, maybe find a work-around.
I am using XP with latest bookport update.

first problem is that some books have no title recognized by bookport. I assume
these are publisher supplied where bookshare software does not convert
properly. On the bookport, the book can be read but in navigating across the
list of books, there is no way of knowing what's there. the result is that
these books are basically getting lost in my library.  could bookport always
make sure there is some title?

second, occasionally a book download invokes an error message in book wizard
complaining about blank space in  XML. My latest example is "the universe and
dr einstein". The message cascades so you OK but messages keep coming, forcing
some difficult attempts to shut down book port.

as a software tester, I know that bookshare is now producing documents that
bookport must handle as exceptions, ant is not  doing too well. I will send
reports to bookshare soon but I wonder if others find these problems, too.

these are not show stoppers. I continue  to find bookport  as my best way to
read books and buy ear buds by the dozens. I get a kick out of having so many
books arranged in my own folder categories on about any subject. reminds me I
need to back up the card just in case.

Susan