[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:03:00 -0500 (CDT)

Well, we've beat this one to death, so it's probably best to move on. I contend you're wrong, you contend I'm wrong, I think if we kept this discussion up, we'd just go on contending. <GRIN>

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Chris Hill wrote:

I disagree with your assertion that newer technology tends to be more
efficient.  Fact is, most pda's running newer processors don't have
the battery life that bookport currently has.  Newer laptop chips are
more battery efficient than newer desktop chips, true, but comparing
them to older technologies is very difficult because batteries
themselves have improved somewhat.  Look at cell phones for a prime
example, battery life has only improved there because digital requires
less power.  I doubt that a chip twice as fast as what the bookport
has in it will be available that consumes less power for the same
money.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:09:42 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

I honestly fail to understand people's assertions that the suggestions I
made, or that even just the addition of more firmware space, would turn
the BP into a PDA or computer. I honestly believe that if people would
look at some of these suggestions they would see them for what they are,
extension of existing functionality. Newer technology tends to be more
battery-efficient, not less, and more firmware space would not require the
building in of fans into the system. I respect your cautionary approach
when it comes to updating the technology, and when I say that the BP uses
very old technology it is not at all a put-down. As I have said, I am a
huge fan of the Book Port, and am only interested in seeing a good thing
get better.
Bruce