[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:44:03 -0500 (CDT)

The reality of the situation, though, is that the BP is using very old technology. A new unit is inevitable, dropping of support for the existing unit may be a ways off, but that oo is inevitable. That is the way with all technology, and the BP can't be isolated in that respect. I remember when teh KPR came out. There was much excitement at the time because the software came on a cartridge and could be updated. There was one upgrade, after which Kurzweil abandoned the product. It's a reality we're going to have to face, and we can either embrace it or go out screaming.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Richard Ring wrote:

I agree with that too.  I don't use the note taking feature, but it
doesn't bother me that it is there.  The only thing that would disturb
me is if a new feature rich and more expensive device hits the market
and because I don't need the new functionality I don't spring for the
upgrade that now I have a device which will be unsupported in a year.
If, on the other hand, there are new features incorporated into a unit
that I would use along with many I wouldn't, I would not be opposed to
upgrading.