[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:20:55 -0400

It could be small and still sound good. IIt could be on the back of the unit. It might make the unit a bit larger depending on design, but it would be hugely worth it and this is no opinion. It may well be a bad idea, but it is a customer request.

--
Jonnie Apple Seed
With his:

On Sep 5, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Chris Hill wrote:

If the unit had a speaker, it'd be too small and you'd complain about
how it sounded.  It'd also make the unit larger, and I'd complain
about that.  The speaker idea is a bad one.

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:00:39 -0400, you wrote:

When I examined a book port for several weeks beginning around
memorial day, I was most put off by the fact that I had to augment
the unit with something else before even beginning to use it.  Yes,
it's lovely, but no walk man that I know of costs 500 dollars.  I
know that the IPod and its kin require augmentation too, but we are
talking about a classic need here and that is one of being able to
hear the audio and for 500 dollars, you'd think we'd get something
with a speaker in it.

Further on the discussion of what should be in the book port, I was
disapointed that I could not just load something into the book port
without yet another augmentation which granted like headphones was
supplied but unnerving nonetheless especially if you need better
headphones or an external speaker or a bigger card.  I was fully
informed and it was no surprise but the reality was a bit different
from the knowing in advance.  Were a speaker emplanted into the bp we
could have error tones and other tonal indications augmenting our
experience.

I'd love to hear the wisdom behind the current design other than
perhaps better bat life and a more compact design?

Thanks!