[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V5 #60

  • From: "PAMELA RADER" <PRADER@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:57:55 -0500

Hi:

I don't have any experience with this, but my thought, too, is that since the
command for reformatting the card is the 4 corner keys, they could have thrown
it down in such a way as to have activated that command.  If it bounced, then
it reformatted the card.  It's a stretch, but it would explain why it happened.

Pamela Rader, TECHNICAL SUPPORT
American Printing House For The Blind
1839 Frankfort Ave.
Louisville, KY  40206

PHONE:  1-800-223-1839, Ext. 307

>>> morgan@xxxxxxxxxxx 03/25/08 01:25PM >>>
Just a thought...

I've been reading the posts about the loss of book files from a CF card after
going through the X-ray machine in an airport.  Sounds like an event that is
not terribly likely to happen again.  I've been on many hundreds of flights
with my BookPort and always leave it in my briefcase which goes through the
X-ray machine.  I've never had a problem.  I wonder if the problem might have
been cause by something else is that the file structure on the card, albiet
without book files,  appeared OK, that is, it didn't seem to need reformatting.
 Wouldn't the card tell you that it needed formatting rather than there were no
files -- I don't know the answer to that one.  And, it did sound as though the
Help file was intact.

My gut says that repeatedly removing a CF card is potentially harder on the
BookPort, card slot, and the CF card.  If left in a purse, it'll go through
X-rays anyway, and in a wallet, it can take a bit more of a beating if sat
upon.