[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V4 #77

  • From: DanFlasar@xxxxxxx
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:21:21 EDT

FYI:
     We Bookport folks are very spoiled, having the  ability to navigate by
page, sentence and phrase and so on. The new NLS digital  talking books will be
very uneven in navigation.  Books of poetry, for  example, are excellent -
you can go from poem to poem.  Magazines seem to  do pretty well too, giving us
the ability to navigate by story and within story  (sometimes) headers or
subheadings.
    For everything else, however, navigation is  rudimentary.  At best, for a
novel or nonfiction work, you can get chapter  navigation, but no page
markups will be available.   I understand that  this decision is final, and
that it
is a lot of work to markup the considerable  number of already recorded books,
but perhaps a compromise?  New books, say  nonfiction, Pulitzer, Nobel,
Newberry prize winners, NY Times and Washington  Post bestsellers could be
paginated?  Chapter level is fine for genre  fiction but frankly, the new NLS
books
will be a step down for  BookPort/Bookshare users.  The test is not over yet
and
there of course are  bugs to be worked out in the NLS upcoming release.
    I understand that the Canadian NLS has a more  comprehensive digital
talking books program. Can anyone tell me abou tit and can  they be ported to
the
BookPort - 1 or 2?
Thanks,
Dan