[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V4 #145

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 13:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks!

  Barbara

Peter Spitz <peterspitz101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  just sold my barely used BPP to a friend overseas. I just wasn't using it
often as I have other ways to read books and preferred them. It is purely a
personal choice, not at all is it a slam against the BP. In my opinion, for
what it's worth, I would just keep the new Bookport that you just bought and
enjoy it. It's a great unit and the newer model will not be so great that
you will regret or not be able to use your first version. The software will
still be updated. The new improvements will certainly be nice but if you
bought a new car (not that we blinks would buy a car!) this year wouldn't
you expect next year's model to have some improvements? It doesn't mean
your current car is no good. Alspo, improvements or additions to newer
models are often part of the marketing strategy to keep people buying the
product and to get the prior customers to upgrade. In the car business
where I used to work, we called that Brand Loyalty. Nothing sinister or
misleading, just a good way to remain viable in a tough market. We can all
list about one hundred things to change about our Bookports whether we have
the current or the future model. I wish it had a cellphone option and a
storage space for cold snaks and water. A tissue box would be nice too. By
the time I am done improving it, it would wiegh more than I do. And that's
a LOT!

Don't be remorseful about our BP, it's a great unit. Buyer's Remorse is the
most frequent emotion after a big or long awaited purchse. Heck, you
probably had that sinking feeling right after you got married or had a baby
or bought a house. I've had that questioning in my mind over what fast food
place I decided to go to.

If you have a membership to Bookshare, your BP will work just fine and you
will have way too much to read for the rest of your life.

Peter

Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 12:48 AM
To: bookport digest users
Subject: bookport Digest V4 #145

bookport Digest Sun, 27 May 2007 Volume: 04 Issue: 145

In This Issue:
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: Tp Rick,
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
[bookport] Re: how do you use the find

From: "Tim Snyder"
Subject: [bookport] Re: Is the book port more then I need
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 06:48:07 -0400

Hi Barbara,
If I didn't have to have it now, I would wait for the new model. If, at
that time, you do not like the new model, you will probably be able to find
a good used model at a great price since some people have the money and will
want to upgrade to the new model. Of course, you take your chances with
used equipment but you might end up saving a good deal of money that way.
It has also been said that the old book port will not be support when all of
the old parts for repair are gone. That would be a great price to wait and
not pay full price for an old book port. I don't know what APH's return
policy is, but the clock is ticking.
Tim

Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:55:58 -0400
From: "Keens"

Thanks for all the info and advice! I am shocked to see that a new model is
coming out in just a few months! I will call APH on Tuesday and see what
the cost is going to be and what new features it will have. I am some what
upset that this was not mentioned to me when I made my purchase just last
week.
I am so glad I joined this list!
Many thanks,
Christie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:00:12 -0500
From: Sandy Licht

None of us are testing the newer model. There isn't even a prototype
of it. Bookport2 won't be released until sometime in the fall. It
will have capabilities to do a lot more than what the old one
does. Check out ACB Radio's Main Menu for an interview with
Larry. That way you can make your own decision. The new BP will be
more expensive than the older model, but we don't know how much more.

At 11:04 PM 5/26/2007, Barbara wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am a new user, too. I wrote an e-mail a couple of days ago. Should
>I return my Book Port and get the newer model when it comes out? Is
>the newer model going to be more expensive? When NLS becomes
>digital, does anyone know whether they are going to give out their
>digital equipment or am I better off getting the newer Book Port
>model which will play NLS books, as well? I practically never read
>NLS books but I figure that if I am going to buy Book Port, I might
>as well get the newer, better model. What else will the newer model
>be able to do besides read NLS Books and retain the older features
>of the current model? It is nice to have Book Port right now, but I
>can wait for the newer model if I have to. If you were I, what would
>you do? I need some advice because, as you know, the machine is
>expensive and since some of you are into testing the new product,
>you might know more about it than I do.
>
>Barbara
>
>Robert Clark wrote:
>Christie,
>Keep using it,. It will grow on you the more you use it. Just use it
>for your books and music and as you learn how to use it you might go from
>there.
>
>*---* *---* *---* *---* *---*
>We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way
>through Congress.
>--Will Rogers
>Robert & Dreamer Doll (Guide Dawggie)
>Newport, Oregon
>N24C 3G 8/2000 Hookup
>rclark0276@xxxxxxxxxxx
>http://webpages.charter.net/dog_guide/

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>5/26/2007 10:47 AM

Sandy Licht

Jeremiah 29:11 - 14 A .
11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are
plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me
in earnest, you will find me when you seek me. 14 I will be found by
you," says the Lord.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Clark"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:26:14 -0700

Christie and list,
APH has done nothing wrong. The new BP is not even off the drawing
board. No one has seen one yet. The new BP will offer what the current one

does and add more features later, but who knows how long before that comes
around? They promise the fall but its not carved in stone. You cannot hold

them to that, its not realistic.

If you have the BP now, you have 30 days to return it so why not use
that time to try it out? I got mine the day before I heard of this new BP
but elected to keep it because I have it while the new model may be
delivered, when? No onw knows for certain. Meantime, I am enjoying my BP.

*---* *---* *---* *---* *---*
Ambivalent? Well yes and no.

From: "lana"
Subject: [bookport] Re: Tp Rick,
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:07:41 -0600

normally it does, but on some .brf books, you get big leaps. Sometimes the
percentage thing works better..
From: "lana"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:29:44 -0600

You can read a lot of books before the new one comes out. Also, I like to
whait a while on a new device till the real computer people work out all the
bugs I probably couldn't deal with. From what I've heard, the update for
NLS books won't be till later. I'm holding mine till that happens. That
way I'll know I'm getting all I want. Remember, there's not just audible and
Web Braille, but Bookshare. As long as you have a working computer, you'll
never run out of something to read.
ENJOY!!1!

From: "Robert Clark"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 09:43:25 -0700

Thats right Lana, and let me add, that now is the time to enjoy because
we dont know what tomorrow will bring let alone if it comes at all.

*---* *---* *---* *---* *---*
-- Steven Wright

From: "solsticesinger"
Subject: [bookport] Re: how do you use the find
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 16:33:57 -0500

Not to sound stupid, but where on the book port is there an enter key?
Shannon
From: "David Allen"
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 09:59:17 +1200

Hi Shannon and list!

You need to be using the book port's Braille keyboard, so you turn the unit
90 degrees clockwise. Now, enter is the far right key in the middle row.
This is also the 2 key.

Cheers,
Dave

From: "Robert Clark"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 15:05:11 -0700

Shannon,
There is no enter key as such. Read the manual that talks about Braille

input and it will then become clear. I havent used this feature yet but it
sounds simple.

*---* *---* *---* *---* *---*
Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 18:06:59 -0400
From: "Don Barrett"

Nothing stupid about your question. The enter key is only active in the
Find mode. It is the normal two key, but when in find, it is the enter key.
It may also be active in the Notes mode, but I don't know.

From: "Kasondra Payne"
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 16:54:33 -0600

Christie,

I am a student, a wife, a mother, and the bookport is wonderful! I read all
my school books while I cleaned the house last semester. I also read other
books and magazines from bookshare.org. Enjoy this fabulous machine.

Kasondra Payne

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3:05 PM

End of bookport Digest V4 #145