[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V3 #281

  • From: "Peter Spitz" <peterspitz101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 05:57:45 -0600

I have had good luck with www.overstock.com searching for Compactflash and www.meritline.com. Both have really competitive prices.
To: "bookport digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 12:04 AM
Subject: bookport Digest V3 #281

bookport Digest Sun, 08 Oct 2006 Volume: 03  Issue: 281

In This Issue:
[bookport] Re: flashcard
[bookport]  flashcard
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] memory card manager
[bookport] Re: flashcard
[bookport] flashcard
[bookport] Re: flashcard
[bookport] Re: memory card manager
[bookport] Re: Bookport with overdrive
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] Re: Bookport with overdrive
[bookport] Two suggestions RE send text as audio feature
[bookport] unscribe
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] Re: unscribe
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
[bookport] File filter not found for this file type?

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: flashcard
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 04:29:31 -0400

Fran -

I agree that this sounds like a Secure Digital (SD) card and not a
CompactFlash (CF) card. SD cards are _much_ smaller, are used primarily in
newer digital cameras, and won't work in the Book Port.

----- Original Message ----- From: "lyle fran" <lf.sine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Keith Bucher <kbucher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 08:36:53 +400

Hello,

   If you want a Sandisk card, I have what you might call a sure way of
getting one every time, as long as you don't order from
memorysuppliers.com.

   First, go to the following URL:
http://sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1029)-SanDiskStandard_CompactFlash.aspx

   Now go to the more info link on whichever model you'd like to
see. At this point, you'll see the model number for that particular
card. Rather than purchasing it directly from Sandisk, you can now
go to your favorite online site, such as Amazon, or your favorite
computer store, and you have the necessary information to make the
correct choice.

Keith

------------------------------

From: "Missy Hoppe" <melissah@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Sending Text Files as Audio
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 09:20:43 -0400

Hi, Peter! I couldn't agree with you more on this; the audio file should be able to be created without the bookport being connected. That way, the batteries are only being drained during the actual transfer. Might this be something that can be changed in the next release of the bookport transfer software?
Missy

------------------------------

From: "Russ & Valerie" <valruss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 09:45:34 -0400

Yu can as well get a copy of the program 'text aloud', which will convert your txt file into wav or mp3. Anumber of voices are also available for purchase.

----- Original Message ----- From: Missy Hoppe
From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 10:04:39 -0400

If you want to send text files as audio then go out and get yourself a copy
of text aloud. There's really no reason the transfer software couldn't have
ben written to process the files on your hard drive and then connecting the
BP only when the processing is done. The excuse for not doing this was that
some content is encrypted such as audible and RFB&D books. I don't really
believe this since the serial number of the bookport isn't secret and as
long as the transfer program knew the serial number the files could be
incrypted without the bookport being connected. I think the real reason is
that it would be too expensive to modify and debug the software especially
when you consider that as good as the bookport is, it is obsolete technology
and who knows how much modifications will be needed for the new software, if
there really is going to be a new bookport. Besides, this might make the
transfer program more complicated which means more tech support. The
bookport will never be all things to all people, I just accept it for what
it is and go on with my life the best I can. HTH

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:30:14 -0400
From: "DAVID DE NOTARIS" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] memory card manager

Dear Listers:
This is my first time writing to the list, I love the bookport, I have been running in to some memory card manager error problems. when I connect the bookport, I get a filetype not supported then an ok button.

Any idea for stopping this problem?

DD

Make it a great day!

David J. De Notaris
Master Motivator & Dean of Self-Esteem!

Try our Free Do You Have A Minute? daily Motivational Hotline: 973.571.0999 (call to Verona, NJ)

National Toll Free: 877.tap.hope aka 877.827.4673
Fax: 973.239.0932

Visit us on the World Wide Web:
http://www.daviddenotaris.com
email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:48:56 -0400
From: "Hope Hein" <hmhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Fran!
SD cards are small and thin. They almost look like quarters. They will not work in the Bookport according to AFB.

You want to buy a CF card. It is rectangular and looks like a cracker. It fits in to the side of the Bookport.

Smile.
Hope

..Hi, I was looking through the staples weekly adds and found this.
..SDT memory card
..
..#562830
..
..
..
..Staples/061008_2_B_1_0_1_1al
..
..
..
..$19.98
..
..Reg. $59.98
..
..Valid Oct 8 - 14
..
..Save $40
..
..
..
..Is this what I should buy?
..
..thank you
..
..Fran
..
..May the Lord bless you and keep you: May the Lord make his face shine upon
..you, and give you peace. Numbers 6:24-26
..
..

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 12:59:09 -0400
From: "lyle fran" <lf.sine@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi list, today i bought a compact flashcard at staples. it is the right
thing it fits in the bookport and i downloaded a book on it and it read it
just fine. the card is a 1 gig for twenty dollars. you can't go wrong thanks
for all the import. Fran

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:18:47 -0400

Once you have that model number, check at:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/

Search on the model number and you'll be presented with the latest
information on pricing from dozens of online vendors and even the total
price range from lowest to highest.

Just an added note--I would never buy a CF card from Amazon because of their
prices. Even the most cursory search should save at least 20% over the
Amazon price almost all the time.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Bucher" <kbucher@xxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: memory card manager
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:20:12 -0400

Does the message say _what_ file type is not supported?

----- Original Message ----- From: "DAVID DE NOTARIS" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Sharon" <scfinchum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Bookport with overdrive
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:53:35 -0500

Hello Robert,
I have had no luck finding Sound Taxi. Could you send the link, off list if
that would be better.

Make it a great one

Sharon
scfinchum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:07:29 -0400
From: "Linda Davis" <lindamay.davis@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I agree with you. As long as it works and is affordable to most people,
let's just be happy with it unless the changes can be made without making
the cost go up.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:08:34 -0700

Hello Robert,
I have had no luck finding Sound Taxi. Could you send the link, off list
if
that would be better.

http://www.soundtaxi.info

Grant

------------------------------

From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Two suggestions RE send text as audio feature
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:12:50 -0700

Hello,

Here are a couple requests for the send text as audio feature. What do you
all think?

1. Having a "no speech" item in the list of voices is redundant - why
would you want to use the feature and produce output with no speech?
2. Can we support SAPI4 voices?  This would enable us to use, among
other voices, the IBM ViaVoices (Eloquence-sounding voices) for some
familiarity with screen readers.
3. Can we have the ability to adjust the output quality?  The one
that's used sounds far too low.

Grant

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:34:15 +1000
From: Gary Filroy <raffi@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] unscribe

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:37:26 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

When the text file is converted to Audio, that is done through the BP
Transfer software. I have a feeling a lot of changes would have to be made.

At 11:59 PM 10/7/2006, David Tanner wrote:
Better yet, what if there were a way to save the audio book onto the
memory card using a flash card reader in the computer and be able to
then put the memory card into the Book Port.  Of course, I realize
that a considerable amount of the time you are talking about is
transfer time, but I also know from converting text to audio using
Kurzweil1000 that that process takes a long time even when you
aren't counting in the transfer time.  That's all the more reason
for considering letting the user have the choice of saving it to the
memory card while it is in a flash card reader instead of in the
Book Port because that save would go much more quickly.
  Just put a save to memory card or save to disk routine in the
transfer software that would let you save the converted book
somewhere other than through the USB cable.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, October 07, 2006 11:39 PM Subject: [bookport] Sending Text Files as Audio

:I using the Bookport feature to send a book in text format to the Bookport
: as an audio file so that the Bookport can read the book in a high-quality
: SAPI5 voice.
:
: This is taking a long, long time (as might be expected). Not only does this
: tie up the Bookport for quite some time, but I know that the Bookport
: batteries drain when it is connected to the USB port.
:
: Is there a way of using the Bookport queuing system to pre-process the
: text-formatted book into an audio format before connecting the Bookport? In
: this way I would only have to tie up my comuter for the transfer time and
: not the entire processing time to transform the book from text to audio.
:
: Thanks.
:
: -- Pete (still waiting after 1 hour on a 2.6 GHz machine!)
:

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.407 / Virus Database: 268.13.1/466 - Release Date: 10/7/2006

------------------------------

From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: unscribe
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:38:00 -0700

Gary, you want to send that to bookport-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Put the word
Unsubscribe in the subject.

Grant

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:39:50 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Make sure you have a fast processor, though... and a lot of RAM.  The
AT&T voices are memory hogs.  I like the voices.  My computer is
pretty fast, and it is still more sluggish than I like.

Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 22:43:08 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To each his own, I suppose, but quality is in the ears of the
listener.  I like the AT&T voices as well as Eloquence, but the
Microsoft voices are extremely inferior, at least to me.

At 11:39 PM 10/7/2006, Peter Torpey wrote:

I using the Bookport feature to send a book in text format to the
Bookport as an audio file so that the Bookport can read the book in
a high-quality SAPI5 voice.

This is taking a long, long time (as might be expected).  Not only
does this tie up the Bookport for quite some time, but I know that
the Bookport batteries drain when it is connected to the USB port.

Is there a way of using the Bookport queuing system to pre-process
the text-formatted book into an audio format before connecting the
Bookport?  In this way I would only have to tie up my comuter for
the transfer time and not the entire processing time to transform
the book from text to audio.

Thanks.

-- Pete (still waiting after 1 hour on a 2.6 GHz machine!)
Checked by AVG Free Edition.

------------------------------

From: "Billy Littlejohn" <blittlejohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] File filter not found for this file type?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:23:15 -0500

Hey, Guys!

Okay, my girlfriend and I are both Bookport users and lovers, but she
has been having a problem downloading podcasts, and getting a particular
error message. I am going to paste her question here in her own words, and
you guys can fire away! Thanks in advance!

"...I continue to get error messages that say "File filter not found for
this
file type".

I am downloading podcasts, using Juice, and they are being deposited into
the "pending" file as per the Book Port User's Guide.

After the podcast has been downloaded, I use the Book Port Transfer software
while the book port is connected. The Queue Management program loads and
offers to send the queued files to the device. When I click on "send now",
I get the error.

Some of the files will play through Media Player, some will not. Among the
podcasts to which the error applies is the Blind Cool Tech podcast. These
are supposed to be MP3 files, yet the software behaves as if this is not a
standard file format.

Solution?  More details follow:

what I don't get is why Media Player will play the MP3, but the Queue
Manager will not permit the transfer to happen on the Book Port.  the file
stays in the queue forever, and at one point, until I deleted, I had over
fifty podcast files stuck in the queue because of the error message.  the
files simply would not transfer to the Book Port device.

You might think that since the Blind Cool Tech podcast is out of APH
(American Printing House), they
might have an idea.

I've tried sending the files to the book port as music, I've changed
players, I've tried sending the file through other means, etc. Nothing
works. Until I delete the file from the queue, it will not transfer to the
book port.

I need to find an answer to this, because it makes no sense.

If you have time, will you check into this for me?

Thank you, honey..."

   Uh, guys, uh, that last part was for me... just so you will keep that
straight! (smile)  Thanks again... you guys are great!

Speak soon,

Billy Littlejohn
Phone: 901-624-0202
Email: BLittlejohn (at) midsouth.rr.com
Website: http://www.BlindOffers.com (Coming Soon!)
"Every offer I make is a 'blind' offer!"

seeing people towards them."
-- Helen Keller, 1925

End of bookport Digest V3 #281