[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V3 #113

  • From: "Deborah Kendrick" <dkkendrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bookport digest users" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 03:01:09 -0500

Reed,
Thank you for putting an end to a very tedious thread -- and for a bit of
humor, too!

bookport Digest Wed, 19 Apr 2006 Volume: 03  Issue: 113

In This Issue:
[bookport] Re: Music Question
[bookport] Re: Music Question
[bookport] test please ignore
[bookport] Re: Music Question
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Getting the right kind of Compact Flash
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] bookmark idea
[bookport] Re: bookmark idea
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change
[bookport] FW: Bookshare.org in Canada

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:58:16 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Music Question

This used to be the case, but with the release of version 10, Media
Player will now rip to mp3 as well.

>>> TALMIDIM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:47:52 PM >>>
You have to remember that windows media player only rips in its own
format (wma) unless you have purchased a mp3 plug-in.  the bp will not
play wma.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:00:12 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>

Go into Tools/Options in Media Player and configure it to use mp3 rather
than wma as the file type to rip.  I believe this is under the Ripping
tab.

>>> nankar40@xxxxxxxxxxxx Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:13:24 PM >>>
Hello.
I'm trying to transfer music from a CD to the Book Port.  I ripped it
using Windows Media Player.  That created a folder in the "my music"
folder which I renamed to something logical.
Then I tried locating that folder and sending it using the BP transfer
software.  Nothing happened.  I then located the folder the Windows way
and tried sending it through the "send to" menue.  I got a message
saying, "no filter found for this file type."
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Nancy

------------------------------

From: "Otto Zamora" <8zamora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] test please ignore
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:02:11 -0400

Test.

Otto

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:21:42 -0500
From: Robert Carter <r-carter@xxxxxxx>

 Hi All,
Windows Media Player 10 will rip to mp3. You just have to tell it to do so.

Robert Carter

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:24:38 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Suggestion for Manual Change

Maybe we should just leave the manual as it is with respect to this
issue.  Each organization has its policies and regulations, and I don't
think we want to be in the business of keeping up with each of them.

>>> DogRiver@xxxxxxxx Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:07:24 PM >>>
I never said anything about citizenship. According to the American
Heritage Dictionary, an American is "a native or *inhabitant* of
America".
So my statement is in fact correct.

Bruce

--
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he
gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12 NIV

Bruce Toews
Web Site (including info on my weekly commentaries):
http://www.ogts.net

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, David Allen wrote:

> Hi Bruce and list:
>
> If they did as you suggest, they would be inaccurate. Bookshare and
RFBD

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:48:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>

I respect that, but for those of us not residing in the United States it
is a fairly big deal.

Bruce

--

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Getting the right kind of Compact Flash
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:10:14 -0400

I've never seen any time line. I've got one that's still perking after three
years of very heavy use (literally thousands of file transfers and erasures)
and I've had one that failed in a couple of months. I don't know if there's
a MTF (mean time to failure) spec that the CompactFlash Association has as a
standard or not. They're the folks who control use of the name CompactFlash
and any card that uses the name CompactFlash has to meet their standards.

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:12:37 -0400

I agree. All you're doing is pointing people to _sources_ and it's up to
those persons to determine whether or not they qualify to receive materials
from those sources. Since qualifications and requirements are always subject
to change with any such organization, I don't feel that it's APH's
responsibility to track and list them.

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:22:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>

Again, I respectfully disagree. If you're offering lists of sources for
material, and a considerable percentage of that source material is
restricted to residents of one country out of however many there are in
the world, that could be significant to some people in their choices.

Bruce

--

------------------------------

From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:29:21 -0400

I happen to agree with Bruce for a change. All that need be mentioned when
discussing other sources like bookshare and rfb&d is that some material may
be available to u.s. residents.

------------------------------

From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:53:38 -0700

I agree with Larry.  Especially when he has to filter out the incorrect
information presented to him and his organization.

 You are incorrect when you state that RFBD is restricted to U.S. anything.
I am a Canadian citizen who lives in Canada, have never been an American
citizen and have never resided in the U.S.  I've been a customer of RFBD for
years.  The last time I contacted RFBD (about 2 months ago), they were still
working out the copy write issue that restricts them from providing books on
CD to customers outside of the U.S.  They think that they will have the
restriction removed shortly.

Reed

http://www.totw.net Web Site (including info on my weekly commentaries):

------------------------------

From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:09:34 -0400

I don't remember saying any such thing. The point is that there is material
available to u.s residents that isn't available to others. Mentioning that
in the manual certainly wouldn't benefit me but it might be relevant to
people in other parts of the world.

------------------------------

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:24:32 -0400

He didn't say you did. The original message in the thread indicated that to
be the case.

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:25:55 -0400
From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I would agree with these sentiments.  However, what Larry says is
right too.  There's no need for APH to keep a track of the policies
of different organizations.  This would be asking too much.

However, given that many sources of e-texts do have restrictive
policies and conditions on the services they offer, and since the BP
manual is providing a list of sources of material suitable for
downloading to  the BP, I believe that this warrants the inclusion of
a note informing the user that the materials made available by some
of these organisations may only be available to US citizens or
residents and that the user should consult the respective
organizations for further information about their elligibility to
receive such services.

I can't see how APH could get into trouble recommending this.  It
seems like good advice and prewarns new users that not all the listed
sources are necessarily going to be available to them.  And finally,
it only requires a single edit to the manual.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:31:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>

But as of right now the restriction is there, the restriction is real, and
it exists.

bruce

--

------------------------------

From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:07:03 -0700

How about the manual stays as it is, with the adition of a note which
states that the information is provided as a starting point only, and that
each organization referenced should be consulted as to their individual
membership policy and procedures.  Having said that, I'm sure the book is
US-centric, as it is, after all, made and distributed mostly within the
United States.
-Brian
On Apr 19,  7:48am, Bruce Toews wrote:
} I respect that, but for those of us not residing in the United States it
} is a fairly big deal.
}
} Bruce
}
} --
} Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he
} gave the right to become children of God. John 1:12 NIV
}
} Bruce Toews
} E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: DogRiver@xxxxxxxx
} Radio Show and Podcast: http://www.totw.net
} Web Site (including info on my weekly commentaries): http://www.ogts.net
} Info on the Best TV Show of All Time: http://www.cornergas.com
}
} On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, LARRY SKUTCHAN wrote:
}
} > Maybe we should just leave the manual as it is with respect to this
} > issue.  Each organization has its policies and regulations, and I don't
} > think we want to be in the business of keeping up with each of them.
} >
} >

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:14:37 -0400
From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>

OK, how about a statement in that section of the manual along the
following lines?

Note that the policies and regulations for some of the resources listed
in this section of the manual may differ depending on your country of
residence.  You may wish to check with the specific organization to
insure that the services described are available in your country.  Note,
too, that this list is far from comprehensive.  This section lists only
a snapshot of what kind of material is available.  There may be others
not listed here.

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:22:26 -0400
From: Andrew Hart <ahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That would seem to fit the bill perfectly!

Cheers,
Andrew.

From: "Kitty Litter" <n8kl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:24:14 -0400

That sounds like a very politically correct thing to do and I can't imagine
anyone being offended in any way so go for it!

------------------------------

From: "doc" <talmidim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:24:51 -0600

Quote:
How about the manual stays as it is, with the adition of a note which
states that the information is provided as a starting point only, and that
each organization referenced should be consulted as to their individual
membership policy and procedures.
***
If you can write all of that then why can't you simply state, "Some sources
are for U.S. residents only"

------------------------------

From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:27:28 -0700

I think that sounds fine.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:31:27 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>

I'd say that would be perfect. It would be accurate no matter what
restrictions are accurate or removed in the future, and it addresses the
situation fairly.

Bruce

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:39:48 -0400

I strongly support this suggestion. That places the responsibility for
determining one's individual eligibility where it belongs.

From: "Walt Smith" <walt@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:40:19 -0400

Go with it, Larry! I like it.

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:14:51 +1200

Hi Walt and list:

It is a list of sources. Easy enough to investigate them. I think of them as
doors in a long corridor. Some doors are open. Some doors are closed. Still
others are marginally inbetween.

Cheers,
Dave

From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:34:30 +1200

Hi Larry and list:

You covered it nicely.

Cheers,
Dave

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:41:23 -0400
From: "Don Barrett" <donter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] bookmark idea

Well, perhaps this is way beyond what the BookPort can do, but I will ask
just in case.  It would be really cool to be able to associate audio memos
with bookmarks.  So, for example, in a long lecture in mp3 format, if you
hit the 5 and 6 together to go to the first bookmark, a memo of you saying
"This material is critical and should be memorized."  The second bookmark
would launch a memo of you saying "This material is better covered in
another lecture, but listen to it for a quick review," etc. etc.

In other words, I am talking about audio indexing your bookmarks.  I could
also be very useful with long text files where you want to mark really
important sections with audio notes related to a project you are working on.

Again, if this is outside the scope of the unit, cool, but I just thought I
would ask.

Don

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:35:24 -0500
From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: bookmark idea

Wouldn't it be better to improve the quality of the memo recording
capability first?  I can see that your idea has merit, though.

At 07:41 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>Well, perhaps this is way beyond what the BookPort can do, but I will ask
>just in case.  It would be really cool to be able to associate audio memos
>with bookmarks.  So, for example, in a long lecture in mp3 format, if you
>hit the 5 and 6 together to go to the first bookmark, a memo of you saying
>"This material is critical and should be memorized."  The second bookmark
>would launch a memo of you saying "This material is better covered in
>another lecture, but listen to it for a quick review," etc. etc.
>
>In other words, I am talking about audio indexing your bookmarks.  I could
>also be very useful with long text files where you want to mark really
>important sections with audio notes related to a project you are working
>on.
>
>Again, if this is outside the scope of the unit, cool, but I just thought I
>would ask.
>
>Don

Sandy Licht
Phone: 409-898-8218
Jeremiah 29:11 - 14A
are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
12In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13If you look for me in
earnest,
you will find me when you seek me. 14I will be found by you," says the
LORD...

------------------------------

From: "David Tanner" <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:49:11 -0500

I certainly see your point, but as Larry said, it would be difficult to keep
up with all the policy changes that the verious places that make electronic
text that could be used on a Book Port may make or change from time to time.

I know that there is an organization in Canada that makes their books only
available to people who reside in Canada, and I am wondering if the Royal
Society in England would let a person in America get books from them?

As you can see this could get to be quite a process to attempt to keep up
with unless someone was willing to take it on for them.  And, maybe there is
someone who would be willing to track down the verious places that have
electronic text, and would be willing to keep up with their policies.  It
certainly would be nice to know all the places a person could or could not
get books from on a regular basis.

From: "David Tanner" <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:59:02 -0500

That sounds good.  After all there are many sources of e-text form other
countries that have similar restrictions, and there would be no way of
keeping track of all of them.

From: "David Tanner" <david-tanner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:03:12 -0500

Not a bad idea.  The thing I wonder if we could see next would be a wish to
know which ones were free and which require a membership for which there is
a charge, and how much the charge is per year, etc.  The user needs to take
some responsibility in checking out this kind of information.

Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:39:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>

Except that the BP manual doesn't mention CNIB, RNIB, etc. But it's a moot
point, since Larry's approach is all-encompassing.

Bruce

--

------------------------------

From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] FW: Bookshare.org in Canada
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:11:27 -0700

(see the note below.)

So, those of us outside of the U.S. can make use of both Bookshare and RFBD.
The temporary restriction is with most of their copy written material on cd.

When I spoke to RFBD a while ago, they indicated that it is the material
distributed on CD that is the problem.  I have been receiving tape books
from RFBD for years.  So, tapes are no problem internationally from the U.S.
It's curious to me that the particular type of medium would be a problem.

While it sounds like Bookshare also expects to have this restriction removed
by the end of this year, as per the note below, they do have a relatively
large amount of material available to those of us who are outside of the
U.S.

In so far as a modification to the BP manual is concerned, I think it would
be much more appropriate to include the following caveat:

"With regard to the use of the BookPort north of 60 in Canada, it is
strongly recommended that the BookPort be used inside of the igloo only.
It's just too dam cold up there!  If you find it necessary to listen
outside, carry the unit tightly wrapped in a seal skin pouch directly next
to your body.  Your body warmth may reduce the inevitable
shivering-synth-voice syndrome experienced by many users north of 60.  If
this symptom begins to show itself, warm the BP by blowing gently on the
unit; taking care to not make contact with your lips.  If you make contact,
the BP will freeze instantly to your lips and you will look really silly
walking over the frozen tundra."

Reed