[bookport] Re: bookport Digest V2 #125

  • From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:46:23 -0400

Pete:

Daisy books will never respect the Use File Name as Title setting for
various reasons. Imagine that you are sending 2 Daisy 2.02 books, both
of which must be called ncc.html per the specifications. Then, when you
sent the second book, it would overwrite the first one.

>>> ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/06/05 09:45AM >>>
Rob,

I believe the experiment you describe below is based on the transfer
mode
where the name of the transferred file is based on the first line
within the
file/book or the content within the file being transferred.

When I transfer books, however, I always have the "use file name as
title"
box checked in the Options menu in Bookport Transfer.  This is why I
say
that, for example, BRF and DAISY books are not being treated the same.
More
explicitly:

1.      If I have a braille book whose file name is test_book.brf which
want to transfer:
        a.      With the BP transfer program, in the list of books to
be
transferred, the book appears as its file name, i.e., test_book
(without the
BRF extension).
        b.      After I transfer the book, it appears in the Bookport
folder
as test_book (no extension), as it should.
2.      If I have a DAISY book from bookshare whose file name is
test_book.OPH (I forgot the exact extension):
        a.      Within the BP Transfer program, the book shows up in
the
list of books to transfer as test_book (no extension)
        b.      After transfer, the book appears on the Bookport with
the
cryptic name book_12324_1_ (or some such numbers, and no extension).

So, what I am saying is that I don't understand why, when choosing the
option to use the file name as title, one format does this and the
other
appears not to.  Am I missing something here?

-- Pete

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:28:13 -0400
From: "ROB MEREDITH" <rmeredith@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bookport] Re: Displayed name of DAISY Books

Pete:

Not quite! Other books are treated the same way. The difference is the
file names probably give a better clue as to their content.

To illustrate this, create a file called test.txt, and put "Around the
clock" as the first line.

>>> ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 05/04/05 08:33PM >>>
Rob,

Thanks for this hint - it does work.  However, I would rather see the
title
of the book truncated rather than the cryptic name which currently
displays
for DAISY books.
Having only the cryptic name appear as default makes it difficult to
navigate quickly down the list of books within a folder to see which
books
are in the folder.  If one has to stop on each book and bring up the
properties dialog box, telling which books are in the folder can be a
much
slower process.  Also, other formats seem to transfer and display the
title
of the book (BRF, TXT, etc.) - Why shouldn't DAISY act the same?  I
would
like to see the process for of transferring and naming DAISY books be
consistent with transferring and naming other formats.

-- Pete