[bookport] beta. 4 GB CF FAT32 cluster size

  • From: <chris.BP.FL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 04:15:43 +0100

file forward and backward navigation (keys # and *) has become very slow
(more than ten seconds) on my BP with 4 GBytes CF, formatted on the BP which
uses 4 KBytes cluster size.
after reformatting with a cluster size of 32 KBytes, this problem
disappeared.
it should be noted that the fat size of a 4 GBytes FAT32 with 4 Kbytes
clusters is 32 times larger than a 2 GBytes FAT16 with 32Kbytes clusters, 2
MBytes vs. 64 KBytes, which might result in performance loss on relative
small computer systems as the BP is.
i think that if one uses not a very large amount of very small files but
only larger files, daisy and mp3, there is no need to use the small cluster
size.

BTW, I'm also testing a 8GB CF, and did not find problems until now, but my
tests were not yet extensively.

Chris S.