[bookport] Re: beta 28 Attention Lary

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:27:58 -0800

        When you press the A and C keys simultaneously, what does Bookport say
to you?  I've done a number of upgrades now using Lary's instructions, and
here's what I've learned whichmight not be obvious from them.

        Bookport only looks for code upgrades on your flash card when you
disconnect the bookport from the computer via its USB cable.  So, if you're
like me, and you do most of your copying of data to the Bookport using an
external reader, copying the files you specified to the flashcard and then
reinserting the card into the Bookport is not going to trigger an upgrade.
You actually need to plug the Bookport into a USB plug on your computer,
wait for it to show up as a disk drive on your computer, whether or not the
transfer tool recognizes it, and then disconnect the USB cable from the
Bookport.
        If you're not getting the computer to recognize that the Bookport is
plugged in  in any way, then that's your problem.  The other way you can
tell if the Bookport is being recognized by the computer when its plugged
in is to try and operate it while its plugged in.  If you can still listen
to texts, or otherwise get it to talk when the USB cable is plugged into
it, then it's not talking to the computer, and you won't get it to upgrade
itself.
        If this is your problem, you might have a bad USB cable and you should
try getting another one and see if that fixes your problem.  Based on your
description, I'm almost certain you're not getting the Bookport to switch
into disk drive mode, and if you can't do that, you can't get it to load
the new software, and do away with the error messages.
Do other USB devices work on your computer?  What happens if you plug the
bookport into a different computer?  Don't worry, you don't need to put the
transfer software on that computer for this test.  Just plug it in, see if
it recognizes new hardware, and then unplug it.  When you do that test,
make sure you have the flash card with the files you copied per Larry's
instructions in the unit.  If that works, i.e. the computer recognizes new
hardware has been connected and the Bookport becomes unresponsive while
it's plugged in, then when you unplug it from the computer, it should say
something like:
"Bookport 2.1.0.25 ready"
Then, after a pause,
"Code updated started, do not press any keys."
Once you hear the code update started message, wait for it to complete the
upgrade.  You'll know when it's complete because you'll get the double beep
of it turning off.  Once that happens, press A and C and see what it says.
I bet you'll then have the new firmware, and all will be good.
-Brian