[bookport] a suggested improvement

  • From: "Carin Headrick" <headrick2001@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:47:43 -0400

Maybe this is a sign of my beginner status with this machine, but I have a
suggestion that could perhaps be incorporated...if it is even necessary. I wish
that in the book range dialog, there was an area where you could specify where
the resulting daisy file would end up. The only reason I say that is the Book
Port's default place where it starts out is the root directory. But since this
directory isn't supposed to be filled with goo, you don't want to start copying
a daisy book there, or it will crap out mid transfer. At least that's what I
discovered when copying a batch of mp3's there before I'd read the critical
sentence in the manual that said don't put crap in the root! So if I don't get
a chance to specify the destination of my daisy book, off she goes into the
wild blue yonder of the root directory. This is enough to make you cry if the
process of obtaining book information is slooow, only to conk out later.

Also, it would be nice if it informed you that if you choose to only copy a
part of the book using the book range dialog, the next piece you copy is going
to merrily overwrite the first piece if you specify the same destination. I was
told by someone that I had to copy the book in sections. Oh joy oh boy was I
mad when I'd copied all the sections, only to find the last section remained.
At least it would be nice if the manual specified that. All the manual says
with regards to daisy books is "put the sucker in, BP knows what to do." Not
like I advocate the treatment of people like they're stupid. I just didn't
assume that it would automatically replace pre-existing material. Every other
computer application tends to yelp something along the lines of buddy! You're
about to wipe out the other stuff. Are you sure? But perhaps my wrong
assumption is because I have limited knowledge of daisy.

Thanks for putting up with your friendly neighbourhood Book Port newb.

Carin