[bookport] Your problems with your book port

  • From: "Neal Ewers" <neal.ewers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:19:28 -0600

James, I also am very sorry that you are having troubles with your unit.
I have also owned mine for about 2 years and have not had one bit of
trouble with it.  As for parsing html, you have a good point and one
that I hope will be taken up at some point.  I also suspect that there
will be more work done on DAISY files, but don't quote me because I
don't work for APH, I'm just a happy user.  However, that is not said to
make light of your experience.  It is frustrating that the market for
things like the BookPort is small enough that the price has to be as
high as it is.  This is not the fault of APH, as I suspect you know.
It's just called staying afloat in a not very large market.  The only
way you can do this is to charge more money than you would if everyone
in the world wanted a BookPort.  So, I guess this raises an interesting
question.  I know that APH is trying to produce units that are easily
used by persons who are blind.  I also hope that they have considered
ways to make this product more universally appealing to people who are
not necessarily blind.  It certainly might bring down the price.  But
the real question is, would they have to pay more to develop such a
unit?  For example, I don't believe the bookport has any printed
information on the unit to help people who see know what buttons do
what.  If APH decided to place print labels on the front of the unit,
the unit itself would probably have to be larger especially if you
wanted it to be used by persons with low vision.  And there would have
to be other changes made as well.  So, there you go.  You would have to
spend more money in order to be more universally applicable to more
people with perhaps very little knowledge of whether or not the unit
would be purchased by other than people who are blind.  And now we have
the new Olympus recorders which have talking menus and which also read
audible.com books.  There is just a lot of competition already out there
for the mass market.  Thus, my guess is that about all APH can do is to
focus on people who are blind and thus will still have to charge a
higher than normal price for the device.

Again, I'm sorry you have had the trouble you have had, but as is
suggested in the message below, I do believe you are in the minority.  I
know, that doesn't make you feel better, so I'll just offer my sympathy
and get off the soap box now.  Good luck to you in getting this worked
out.

Neal