[bookport] Re: Wanted: pronunciation editor

  • From: "LARRY SKUTCHAN" <lskutchan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:42:04 -0400

Yes, one is possible, but interestingly, it will be a lot of work.

>>> peter.rand@xxxxxxxxxxxx Tuesday, September 14, 2004 1:52:01 AM >>>
"After living in misery, I struck out towards Charles Heston"
Hmm..., that doesn't seem to make any sense. Better repeat that section:

"After living in misery, I struck out towards Charles Heston"
Again, hmmm. Better use the Book Port's spell function to figure out what
the Book Port is trying to say:

"After living in Missouri, I struck out towards Charleston."
Ok, that finally makes sense.

I would really love the software to include a pronunciation editor for=20
the Book Port, so
I could slowly train the Book Port to pronounce words the way they are
commonly pronounced. That would make it much easier to understand
the ebooks I read on the Book Port. I'd also like to program the Book=20
Port to
read abbreviations such as "VOA" or "WP" as "Voice of America"
and "Washington Post".

Is a pronunciation editor even technically possible?

Peter