[bookport] Re: Victor Reader Stream

  • From: buhrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Buhrow)
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 04:48:52 -0700

        Hello.  Having read the entire Stream manual, on my Bookport, of
course, I think I can offer some general observations which might be
useful.

1.  Battery life with the Stream won't be anywhere equal to the battery
life of the current Book port.  The battery life on the Bookport II,
however, will be slightly better, but not significantly better than that of
the Stream, if the rumors about what the Bookport II will do are to be
believed.

2.  The Stream will show up as a disk drive on your PC, and will not
require the use of a transfer tool to put books on it.  Instead, it uses
specially named folders to denote different kinds of books.

3.  In addition to NLS books, the Stream can read RFB&D books, as can the
entire family of Victor readers from Humanware.

4.  Book mark handling appears to be quite  awkward when compared to the
way the Bookport handles bookmarks.  However, this may be a result of me
not entirely understanding the manual's instructions.  Specifically, it
looks like you have to assign, or the Stream assigns, bookmark numbers,
which you then have to remember in order to access.  There does not appear
to be a "go to next book mar" in the list, however.

5.  The Stream cannot perform string searches in plain or Daisy text books.

        In short, I believe that if you're used to the advanced features of
the Bookport, you'll be disappoined with the Stream, especially if you use
text files a lot.  However, if you want a good book reader, but don't like
dealing with the transfer utility, you'll be pretty happy with the Stream.
-Brian