[bookport] Re: Upgrades: Hardware and Firmware

  • From: "Sharon" <afinchum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 12:06:14 -0400

   Larry,
What a list!
 I'm sure that there are people who can listen to any synthesizer with ease.
I also think that some of the preference depends on what kind of material
any individual reads most. I for one, bought the B.P as a reading machine. I
took APH seriously and did away with tapes for the most part. I read a lot
of fiction and synthesizers such as Eloquence are, in my opinion, more human
sounding. After nearly 2 years, I have no problem with Double Talk. However,
I would still be more than willing to pay to change the synthesizer. If the
samples of Double Talk that I heard on the net haven't changed, then they
should. With the adjustments available on the Book Port, the speech can be
made much clearer than that sample.
Now for my 2 cents on too many features. I didn't think that I would ever
use the note taker. However, I use it every day and love the ability to name
and sink files. As long as new features don't interfere with my text to
speech, I will be happy. The more file types, the better, since, that will
meet the needs of more people. All of this will increase the learning curve.
However, as I understand things, Springer intends to keep their device
relatively simple. The B. P. is advertised as a device for students and
professionals. I think that APH is providing features that will make the
device useable by more people. One of the problems with devices for the
blind has always been that the market is too small to allow for
accessibility at a reasonable price. With Book Port, I have now replaced
more than my tape
player with a small, portable device with unlimited capacity.
As usual, my 2 cents has been replaced with a nickel and, I do apologize to
those who asked that messages be kept short.

Make it a grate one

Sharon F