[bookport] Re: Upgrades: Hardware and Firmware

  • From: "Mike Arrigo" <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:40:58 -0500

Hi all. Larry, I was looking for a message to reply too where I could post
my opinion on new hardware, and this one is perfect, smile. Today I actually
tried listening to eloquence with headphones, and honestly, I prefer the
doubletalk speech when listening this way. I mainly use eloquence on the pc,
although I used to use a doubletalk pc when I had a computer that would work
with that card. After thinking about it a bit, the doubletalk has my final
vote for the unit.
Regarding a new hardware design, I think we should first ask, what are we
wanting to accomplish with it? Personally, I think the current hardware
works well for what the book port was designed to do, read text books, and
play audio files. The product is known for being extremely small and
portable, and a long battery life. Chances are, changing synthesizers would
cause at least one of the following three things to happen. It could make
the product more expensive, especially considering that the other speech
engines are software, requiring more memory, more processing power, and an
operating system that the software synthesizer would run on. Also, the book
port software would also need to be developed for that operating system.
Second, it's possible that this would require the unit to be a larger size,
reducing it's portability. Last but not least, the power supply would
probably require modification, either more batteries, or not as long of a
battery life. If any of these 3 things are true, and I would say stick with
what we have. Actually, I'm curious Larry, back when you were developing
ASAP, I know you were a big doubletalk fan, is that still the case?