[bookport] Re: Upgrades: Hardware and Firmware

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 09:33:46 -0500

Lary,
Your statement below is a very powerful argument for not changing synthesizers.
Surely, the cost would have to be passed along to purchasers of the new units.
There was considerable discussion on here not long
ago about the possible addition of a speaker. One of the arguments against it
was that it would add to the price of the unit. Anyone worried about the
increase in price caused by a tiny speaker should really take
notice of the additional cost mentioned here. It represents over 10% of the
cost of today's unit and, at least for some, represents a step backwards, one
which, unlike a speaker or other optionally used additional
features, would be the only choice offered. Its too bad you guys can't do what
the people at Kesi did with respect to this issue. Offer the unit with the
speech chip and, as an extra cost item, offer additional software
synthesizers. That's what they did with Dec Access a few years back, and it
seemed to work well enough.
Mary